PDA

View Full Version : SPDA AT THE CANFIELD MEMORIAL 3HR ENDURANCE RACE

oldguy
10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
October 11, 2010:

The Jack Canfield Memorial 3hr Endurance Race is held yearly at Atlantic Motorsport Park near Halifax, NS. This year, Scott Murfin (racecartech) and I (oldguy) entered with FORD WOOD'S Nissan 240sx. Ivano and Nuwan (infamous to all) hauled their sorry a$$es out to work their fingers to the bone in the pits.

Scott picked me up at Trois Rivieres, Quebec, on Friday AM and we hauled the weapon down to Moncton, where we staged for the race. Saturday - karting at a very entertaining outdoor facility (Scott will provide the photos, since I'm technologically challenged). It was a great warm-up for the race. And Ivano taught Scott and me a couple of new tricks.

Sunday was T-day (turkey) and once the chewing subsided, we left for Truro, NS and the bedbug inn.

We made it to the track at 8AM, Monday and tech'ed the weapon - no problems, thanks to Scott and Ford. Then, I did some familiarization laps with Scott (huh ??) and Scott practiced the thing... and blew out the power steering pump. No problems - we pumped ourselves up and were ready to go. Sadly though, we realized after about 2 nanoseconds of practice that although we had a ton of suspension and a ton of grip, well, we had about 1.5 tons of weapon and about a quarter of a ton of thrust - weren't gonna win anything except maybe the longest drive to the race. Just about that time, Mike McCrea's pretty trick 1972 Datsun 510 lost its harmonic balancer and since Mike is ALMOST a semi-decent excuse for a human being, Scott and I shared the weapon with him and his son, Christopher.

Scott started the race - a wild one - with about 30 entrants on a cold, hilly 1.6 mile track, and especially since about 10 'Legends' never-before-roadraced newbies were scattered throughout the field. Scott came in at the end of a safety car session and I jumped in for my 45 minute stint - lots of exciting things to see and do - mostly involving other folks' issues with gravity. Then, Christopher and Mike deployed the weapon for their stints.

We finished - a very big deal in this event since the track is very hard on equipment - the mechanical and the human kind. We had a ton of fun. And we're probably STUPID enough to do it again.

And again.

And again.

Stop me Ivano, please.

Here are links to various photos and videos:

http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=660777807e35d08bb4a9d1c064ed1155

http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9496

http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9494

These links will be updated as more and more of the several photographers that were present continue to post their incredible shots.

Scott and Nuwan have some decent shots of the weapon and the crew - hint, hint, Nuwan.

Scott and I also have our stints on Sony HD, and he's in the process of linking it to his Traqmate data. We can make that available if anyone wants to see just how slowly a stock 12-valve 240sx will go in a straight line, or conversely, to see how well Scott and Ford can build a chassis. The thing was a spider on rollerskates in the corners and in the braking zones.

Grey Power - and we'll bet that you all thought that it was juuuust an insurance ad, eh ?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Huge thanks to FORD WOOD - what a friend. Big thanks to Scott, Ivano, Nuwan and Jeff Bullock at Hankook Canada - he's a silent partner in this lunacy and his specially aged C70 Z214's were pretty awesome. And thanks to Andrew Cordeiro for the use of his radios. We missed you Andrew - gotta get the Lemons team back together someday.

Thanks to Dave Anton at Rallispec for smiling and nodding for three years, while waiting patiently to see his decal finish a race !

:banghead:

Special thanks to Karen, Kandace and Kassie... for letting me kidnap Scott on Thanksgiving.

:bow:

I'd thank my wife, Erin, but she's kinda pi$$ed with me right now... but she'll get over it.

Eventually.

Right ?

:strangle:

LaszloT
10-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Nice job guys, and way to represent the Club and Ontario!

oldguy
10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Update:

We finished 8th (tie) out of 30 entries:

http://www.armsinc.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9505

We were the only four driver team.

racecartech
10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
It was fun no matter how you slice it.

Great track and Great friends. I wouldn't have missed it for anything

oldguy
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM