PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! 1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon

kentM
11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone, I am going to look at a 1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon AWD 5spd Manual in a couple of days. It has 260,000km's, and the owner already told me it will need a new windshield, Right Front CV joint and a little exhaust work to pass cert. The asking price for the car is $1400, depending on a few things I am going to start my offer at 1000$ and work up to 1200$.

What I am looking for is feedback from Some subaru Experts on what to look for and stuff like that. Or should I just stay away? Oh It also comes with a set of winter and summer tires mounted on rims ready to go.

Your Thoughts?

Sir-knight
11-02-2010, 02:41 PM
head gaskets... unless it's the 2.2L brighton/outback sport.

The 2.5 dohc engine was a ticking timebomb for headgaskets, if they haven't been done, they go, if they go and get done, they still may go again. The job in labor is worth more than the car.

Robin
11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
it's 98 wagon.... so it's 2.2L engine.... 2.5L only came in 2door coupe RS.

usual stuff.... how maintained was it?

engine is usually pretty reliable in 2.2L... might have piston slap or engine seals leaking.... rust? rear quarters... how bad is it? rust around fuel filler neck? any CEL?

if it passes E-test and it's $1200-1400.... still a good deal...

windsheild should be around $300-400 max.

kentM
11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Yes there is some rust on the passenger side rear fender, not sure on how bad as I will find out thursday night. The add says well maintained, and like I said comes with a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires.

What about the CV Joint, the owner says CV joint but isnt it just the entire shaft easier to replace than just the joint or boot?

I figured around 300 for the windshield, I'm hoping its not 400! lol

The good news is where I am located, there is no such thing as an etest!! God I love the North!!

JoeT
11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Kent,

Long time no chat dude. Yes CV Jounts / axles are inexpensive for us, at 125 or less for your model, its not worth fixing.

Go for it, sounds like a good deal.

kentM
11-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey Joe!!

ya its been a while, moving around from job to job. Now I'm moving to sudbury for a new job I got, and looking at replacing my dead saturn. I thought this was a reasonable replacement vehicle, considering the AWD and winter tires. Its perfect for me right now, and down the road a perfect candidate for ice racing in Minden too!

Thats what I thought, its just easier to replace the entire thing. Are they similar to replace as say one on a honda civic or caviler? simple design or is it a complicated process? Trying to keep everything as cheap as possible, so maybe if its an option replace it in a garage with a mechanic friend of mine.

On a side note, how are replacement parts for these things? easy to find? Cheap? I know most subaru's are not exactly the cheapest, but this being a more standard model I wouold hope it is.

JoeT
11-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Subaru's are like Lego sets, most components are interchangeable. Engine pieces, suspension parts etc. are for the most part easy to mix and match.

Prices for parts are not as cheap as a honda or cavalier, but also not as expensive as others. You just have to know where to look.

When it comes time, just post here and we can steer you in the right direction. Congrats on the new job.

STeveD
11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I just supervised someone doing it... sure is nicer with impact tools and a proper pin punch on an extension.

Rotate shaft for access and pop inner cv pin if so equipped
Loosen axle nut
jack car up
remove wheel
remove axle nut
disconnect tie rod end
disconnect the ball joint
Pull suspension forward
remove axle

reassemble in reverse order.

kentM
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys....so would any GC suspension parts fit this wagon? so like parts from the 2.5RS lets say? Because I see lots of GC part outs and such, so if those parts fit it would be handy to have spare parts kicking around to keep her alive longer correct?(and for when she does make her way to the ice racing track eventually:-D :-D )

And another question regarding rust, the only way to get rid of rusting our rear quater panels is to cut them out and re place with bits from other donner cars who are rust free(very unlikely!!)??

Any place you would reccomend for cheap Axels BTW guys?

Napping
11-05-2010, 10:21 AM
ha, I have to do right front cv axle too. Thanks for summing up the procedure Steve. I think I'll get on it tomorrow if will end up not going to Perth. Or sunday.
Little worried about seised components though...