PDA

View Full Version : Sailun Tires

Daniel
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Anyone have any experience with Sailun tires? Or know much about them?

I'm looking for a replacement set of street tires for the STI but I'm not having any luck finding anything used - at least in decent condition. I have, however, come across what seems like a pretty good deal on a new set of SAILUN ATREZZO Z4+AS - 245/40/18

The car is just a daily driver these days so I don't need anything spectacular, and I certainly don't need to spend $1000 (which is easy to do with 18"). But on the other hand I don't want to take too much of a chance on an "un-known" either.

I've heard of them, and I've now read the following article on wheels.ca, but otherwise I know nothing about them. http://www.wheels.ca/article/790723

Any thoughts? or does anyone know of any other deals?

thx

Guillermo
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I drove 18" Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS tires on a 2011 Scion tC demo car with 2.5L 180Hp engine. This was in March I had the car all weekend including a track school/lapping day at TMP. It was a sunny day about 5 degree celcious. The ultimate grip was decent and considering the temperature I don't expect any tire to be much better.

In that article you linked to the tire tests showed the Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS did not handle heat well and they even saw tire coming off in the dry.
Well at the cooler temperatures I was driving in, the tires handled several sessions of 20+ continous hot laps without issues (the Scion tC brakes were awesome!) When I turned off the stability control in the Scion tC it was easy to get lift throttle oversteer in the large corner between the 2 long straights. The drifts were easy to control. The car did get stuck easily on ice that was completely smooth. It's absolutely useless on snow and ice even though it's called an "all season".

In February when TMP was covered in snow, we tracked 4 rental Nissan Versa. 2 cars had OEM all season tires and 2 had Sailun winter tires. The winter tires were great in deep snow and very good on ice even compared to other brand name winter tires that other people had on their cars.

I hope that helps.

Daniel
05-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks G, That helps.... somewhat. ;)

So do you recommend the Sailun's or should I invest in something else? I don't mean to put you in a tough spot...

Send me a PM if you would prefer.

thx

Guillermo
05-19-2011, 11:19 PM
As a street tire for use in the summer I would totally recommend the Sailun Atrezzo Z4 performance all season tires for those want a low priced tire that just works fine on the street. I would not recommend them for competition because ultra high performance summer only tires would provide more grip.
These Sailun tires are about half the price of brand name performance all seasons and their feel, performance, and looks are close enough that I couldn't detect any disadvantage in the cold conditions I lapped with them. I didn't drive the identical car with different tires to do a direct comparison but the link that Daniel posted did just that.