PDA

View Full Version : slicks

Denali
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
so next year i want to try some slicks. 275 or 285 width (dont think i can fit 295's without flares) and would prefer to stay on a 17" rim, but will consider 18" because there is allot more sizing options. what brands do you guys prefer? where is a good place to get them? (unsure if you can order them anywhere or not)

STeveD
10-24-2011, 07:19 PM
For what sport?

Just a heads-up that you are likely going to want to specify DOT slicks because true racing slicks may require a racesuit, cage and SA helmet and could result in a bump to Mod class.

Hankook Z214 (3 compounds), BF Goodrich R1 (track only) and Hoosier A6 or R6 are usually the easiest to source.

r

Denali
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
its for road course/ track time attack, i dont care about classing i just want the tire that will be the fastest.

Cavemanrjc
10-24-2011, 07:33 PM
time attack and auto x both require roll over protection and therefor an sa helmet. easy ones to get are the cascar ones from the oval tracks. but are not sized like that. most off road slicks are sized by width and hight in inches. 26x8 and so on. they take a long time to heat up though. figure on two to three laps till there close to temp.

Cavemanrjc
10-24-2011, 07:37 PM
for exact rules on them check with scott at can-alignment

Robin
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
get the $$ out.... as most sticky race tires don't last.... so you'll need enough sets to do the season.

what's your experience / current setup (car/etc).

racecartech
10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Is the car you are using caged?
Do you have the full race gear? ie suit, shoes, underwear, gloves balaclava, and an Sa helmet?

What kind of car are you running?
What mods are done to it to be suited to use race slicks?

Scott

elementZ
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
If you want the tire to be the fastest, then you need a set of Hoosier R6's for practise and Hoosier A6's for time attack runs. Good bye money.

Denali
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
i currently have 275 r888's they are good... but if my car is trailered to and from the track why do i need groves/tread? (thats my thought) car is not caged, nor do i want to (my next project ... to be started in a couple years will be caged), cost saving is not a priority ex. if tire A is 2 seconds faster the tire B but is x2 more expensive i still want tire A (at-least to try once or twice) car is a subaru, still awd, car will be making 500whp, almost everything has been upgraded. as for me... i would say moderate skill

STeveD
10-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Hoosier R6's then are the easy way with your HP and weight. If you're going to MIR, make sure that you have oiling upgrades (large baffled SUMP or pressurized return.).

Bicknell Racing in St. Catherines is the importer in Ontario, but I've had better pricing through TalonTire.

racecartech
10-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Hoosier r-6 or a-6, To run full slicks you need to have all the safety gear and a cage.

The fastest slicks are the Michelin.

The tires are only part of the equation. you have to be able to drive to the limit of the Hoosiers before even considering to be able to use the slicks.

Hoosiers will mot likely be 2 sec faster than the 888's

STeveD
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
I think Scott is low-balling the effect of the R6'ss on a Subaru. :-)

ANd insstead of pump, I did mean SUMP. Going to a higher flow PUMP without upgrading SUMP + Uber G's = spun rod bearing.