PDA

View Full Version : Autoslalom / Time Attack Workshop Votes

JoeT
11-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi All,

The workshops are next weekend and normally we take notes from the forum and represent the club as a whole.

The workshop is when the new rules are voted on, we're here to represent you. Please post your comments or potential changes here.

Big items for Autoslalom:
SCCA Rules
Street Tire Classes

Big items for Time Attack:
Street Tire PIP's

Thank You

BryceD
11-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I am planning on attending the workshops as well this weekend. At the moment I don't have anything to add to your list.

Overall I think I could live with the SCCA rules if we went to a single champ per group (ie. Stock class champ, SS champ, SP champ, etc).

But, I guess this was tried before and we moved away from SCCA rules? Biggest plus is common ruleset with nationals and other provinces. Biggest minus is additional classes that will not be full.

JoeT
11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Another item to put on the list:

Nick Majors is looking for our support and is actively lobbying for the position of Race Director. I'll cut and paste an email in the private forum.

SajBT36
11-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd be happy too with the SCCA classing if we went trophies by group as Bryce posted.

What's the issue on street tire classes Joe?

I'm planning to attend, all being well.

BryceD
11-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Pretty sure it's to discuss PAX factors (street tire class competitors did very well overall compared to normal classing), and any additional classing restrictions.

Street tire class would be heavily affected by SCCA rules as well. From the SCCA rules, ST classes are for getting your feet wet in the sport, with your mildly modified vehicle. No boost adjustment or major power adders etc etc allowed.

SajBT36
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Ah ok, I thought it was something totally seperate from the SCCA classing.

As a competitor this past year and next year in ST classes, I'd vote agreement for them to be nerfed a bit to follow SCCA rules and paxing, if indeed we move to that ruleset.

BryceD
11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Really, I think it needs to be discussed in 2 ways depending on rulesets.

If we go SCCA, how does that affect current street tire competitors? For example, I would not be allowed in ST any longer.

If we don't go SCCA, should any adjustments be made to ST PAX? It's been awhile since I compared results, but I think ST competitors also did well in raw time results - where r-comps should show their merit.

BryceD
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
OK just checked into results, ST was not dramatically better than the other classes in terms of raw or PAX. It was only the last few events where we saw ST show an increase in top 10 raw and top 10 pax.

SP and MOD definitely declines in terms of results on PAX. SP still has competitors in top 10 pax but MOD is no way.

I'm going to try to get the results into Excel and get some more useful info out of it before the workshop.

SajBT36
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Good point Bryce.

My 2 cents on eligible ST entires: Our current ST classes are too wide open to allow them to be paxed against everything else. We can turn up with pretty much anything, throw streets on it and run STU.

As far as ST pax adjust: Joe, Greg C, Travis T and myself pulled down some pretty sharp RAW results this year. However, looking at my own results. Would I have done better in RAW by going back to stock tune, stock RSB and slapping on some 245 wide A6's? I have literally no R-Comp experience, so I don't know, but I think so. Doing so would also have gotten me a softer DS pax.

I ran against Robin E in his DS '11 WRX a couple of times at MCO events, when he mounted up his 275 wide A6's, and got totally slaughtered but I could beat him when he had his NT01's on.

It seems to me that this is where it gets really tricky! Most of our race tire class folks don't run the spendy A6's & V710's to fully press their pax, but all the street tire folks will run the best EHP tires. I know from running in Ottawa and the IPC that I wouldn't have pulled down the raw and pax results I did in regionals this year if I was trying to catch other ST guys on RS3's or other r comp guys on A6's / V710's.

My vote would be, if we go SCCA ruleset, then it would have to be SCCA ST classes too. Otherwise we lose the advantage gained of being consistent with the rest of North America.

If not SCCA, a suggestion: Add another ST class above STU for the likes of corvettes, Mazdaspeed Miata's, boost modded cars etc. and cut back the big power adders out of existing ST2 & STU.

BryceD
11-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I agree, if we go SCCA, street tire should follow the same rules too.

If not, definitely I think some tweaks are in order with how the classes are structured.

JoeT
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
See posts here for some background: http://spda-online.ca/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5992&post_id=44508#forumpost44508

racecartech
11-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I definatly support Nick for the position of race director

DT Racer
11-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Plus 1 for Nick Majors as Race Director 2012.

racecartech
11-08-2011, 11:37 AM
good first post!

JoeT
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
DT / Scott,

We've heard your preferences and will follow suit. SPDA will support Nick on your behalf. I'm sure you represent the crowd when it comes to racing and we have faith and trust in your judgement.

Hope this helps.

racecartech
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Thank You Joe,

As wth any election it will be the next 2 years which will ultimately tell the tale. But yes I believe this will be a good change

DougPhillips
11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Cindy has done a great job but also believe Nick will do well.

Joe, is SPDA supporting anyone for VP?

racecartech
11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Nobody said Cindy has not done a good job, The fact is the office is open which mean Cindy is looking for a potential candidate to fill it. Nick has stepped up and is asking for club support

DougPhillips
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
You right, no one has said Cindy has not done a good job but I am not sure of your point. The fact is she has done a good job.

Nick has done much for CASC-OR and he too will do a good job if elected and I am in suport of that.

The office is open but it does not mean Cindy is looking for a candidate to fill it. It means her fixed term is up again and others can apply.

Yes, Nick is asking for club support, that is obvious.

JoeT
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Doug,

With regards to your question of VP support, no one has approached us to support them. AS of this date there are no known nominees for the VP position.

DougPhillips
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks Joe. I believe Robert Lauder is looking for re-eletion and I think he will do great.

mikewolf
11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I won't be at the workshop, but would appreciate if my strong support for scca rules was voiced.

JoeT
11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I'll make sure it's voiced.