View Full Version : January Jaunt; and other ORRC stuff

BruceL
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
The 2012 season is upon us; just one week to the January Jaunt Rally (http://www.januaryjaunt.com), round one of the Ontario Road Rally Cup. Hosted by Toronto Autosport Club, and organized by Kurt Seelenmayer, the event will start and finish at the Royal Coachman in Waterdown. I'm sure Kurt has some new, interesting and potentially devious instructions to foist on us. This is the guy that was able to get the Expert instructions for the TAC August Challenge on one page! And I remember the Sudoku that had to be solved before your could figure out the order of the sections (gawd, I detest Sudoku). Novices shouldn't be worried, those instructions will be beginner-friendly. As well, for first-timers, there will be a bit of a beginners school before the event.

Winter has arrived in the south of Ontario after a nice delay. So proper winter tires are strongly recommended (has anyone else noticed over the last couple of winters that there seems to be a lot more cars running with snow tires?) A safety triangle is required, and a winter safety kit is recommended - probably a good idea to have one in the car at all times anyway. The first car is out at 3:00 pm, and the rally should wrap up after 9:00 pm. So it will be dark. Extra lights are great, but not a necessity. If so equipped, auxiliary lights should be controlled through the high beam switch.

Using the RallySport Ontario on-line registration (http://www.oldrallysport.on.ca/orrcentry.html) will make it a little easier at check-in. You will still have to show your driver's licence, car ownership and insurance, but you won't have to fill out the form at registration. Remember, if the car you're using does not belong to the driver or navigator, if you're borrowing the car from Gramma, then you must present a letter of permission at registration. If you balk at on-line registration, just drop Kurt or myself a line to let us know that you'll be competing.

Two weeks later, January 21, Motorsport Club of Ottawa is hosting the Rideau Winter Rally. Robert Roaldi is already hard at work this, another night rally. Next week, I'll be heading to Bancroft to lay out the Maple Leaf Winter Rally, scheduled for Feb 18-19.

Bruce Leonard
RSO VP Navigational
(send me a pm if you would like to be added to my ORRC update email group)

TrevorH
12-30-2011, 09:03 PM
The January Jaunt is always fun, and this year Ted and I plan to be back at the pub before the prime rib sells out, even if we have to max-early to do it! :)

This is typically a great event for a first rally. Come out and have some fun!