PDA

View Full Version : lightweight or stock flywheel....input appreciated

PaulH
12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
04wrx 5MT. I am getting an STi shortblock installed and thought that this would be a good time as any to consider a lightweight flywheel. A friend has offered to get one for me at a low price.

Details of build:

2011 STi short block
Wossner pistons (final CR of 8.6:1)
Stock 04 wrx heads (modified squish area)
68HTA turbo (yes I know it is small)
DW 750 injectors
turbo Supra fuel pump
Open Source tuning
Target 270 WHP - Yes I know that this is pushing the 5MT but I do have a complete spare while I save for a 6 speed.

Contemplating TVG deletes but this is my DD so I will probably leave them as they are.

Thank you!

Paul

STeveD
12-31-2011, 06:02 PM
I love lightweight flywheels. I have an Exedy from JRP for Pugsy, and had a modified stock one on the STi.

Both gave a little surge in stop and go traffic, but not something I deal with on a regular basis.

dubya_rx
12-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Seconded. Lightened the stock one on the 02 wrx.

alf
01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Your lighten flywheel can be use in a future 6 speed, that's not money lost. Don't go too light, it will make for a very crappy DD. I run a OE 02 WRX flywheel that lost about 4 lbs on the outside, it's about 17-18lbs. Personally, I wouldn't go below that. Stay away from those 9-12lbs type stuff.

PaulH
01-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I drive quite a lot in heavy traffic. I average 60K a year. After reading pages of posts I agree that it is probably best to just lighten up the stock flywheel by a few pounds.

Where can I get the stock flywheel lightened and balanced. Roughly what is the cost.
I have a stage 3 Bully clutch that can also be used in the 6mt if I want to. I have had Bully kevlar clutches in the past and I like the smooth engagement.

I am considering having an 05-08 Legacy GT gearset put in when the engine is built. I know the 6 speed is much stronger and has better diffs etc but I prefer the gear ratios of the 5 speed. For about $1500 (I have a spare 5MT already) I can have the peace of mind that the gearset can handle the torque and the transmission will last.

If I decide down the road to go big then I would have to consider buying a 6MT.

Opinions are most welcome.

Paul

alf
01-11-2012, 08:17 AM
IIRC Bully did lighten mine for about 80$. They only took weight on the outside (where it mater the most). They took ~1" x 1/4" to 1/2" on the outside. The area where the clutch get in contact, that is still at his full thickness.

valheru
02-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm running the ACT streetlite, 14 lbs versus 24 lbs OEM, love the response and feel of it, but I am lucky enough not to drive in traffic more than 5 minutes a day.

But when I do get stuck in traffic I get annoyed real fast enough that if ever I get stuck driving in stop and go traffic, I would go back to stock.

Then again my patience threshold is quite low!

PaulH
02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Thank you all for your input. Since I drive about 65K a year I think a stock flywheel is the best way to go.

Now to look for a stock flywheel so that I can get it resurfaced ahead of time. :-)

Paul