PDA

View Full Version : AiM Sports GPS lap timers and dash data logers

GT42R
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Now in stock at N.V. Auto

AiM Sports the world leader in data acquisition has done it again!! The SOLO GPS lap timer is the easiest way to track your lap times at your favorite track or TSD event. Using GPS this compact waterproof unit delivers.

Predictive Lap Times
Arguably the best tool a driver can have for getting faster—predictive lap times. Chisel down those lap times and qualify better than you ever have before with the Solo's predictive lap timing. A constantly updating real-time display of your current lap pace. A time prediction resolved down to the hundredth of a second - and incredibly accurate. Optionally you can display a real-time +/- from your best lap time.

It's a Data Logger
The Solo records your lap times along with speed, track position, lateral g-forces, linear g-forces, yaw rate, heading, slope, satellite reception, and battery voltage. Each channel recorded at a frequency of 10-times per second (10 Hz). All tests are stored with a time and date stamp for on-screen review or PC download for further analysis. Download your Solo data to the included full version of RaceStudio2, our professional data analysis software.

Data Analysis
Plot your Solo data over time or distance, xy plots, track position, create histograms and more. Overlay any number of laps from the same test of different tests. Correlate your data to track position.

http://www.aimsports.com/images/visual_deep_data_analyze.jpg

Split Times
One of the most useful tools for analyzing driver performance and consistency is to break up the track into several sections and analyze sector timing and standard deviation within a test session. The Solo puts that powerful tool one click away on your PC. The track is automatically split up into straights and corners and a table provided with sector times for each and every lap. It also strings together your "theoretical best" lap, combining all your best sectors.

http://www.aimsports.com/images/screenshot_06.gif

Solo Autocross
A forthcoming free firmware update to the Solo will add another dimension to the Solo - its namesake motorsport, solo or autocross racing. Right now the details are under wraps with only vague hints as to the autocross specific features, codenamed "killer" and "game changer".

Solo DL - Now shipping!
The Solo DL is a more advanced data logging model. The Solo DL will connect to over 300 supported ECU models, including OEM CAN, OBDII, and the most advanced third party ECU's in motorsports. Thus giving you a Solo with all the above features, plus the ability to record up to 100 additional channels coming from your ECU (model pending). The Solo DL will also seamlessly interface with our popular SmartyCam video recording with real-time data overlay.

http://aimsolo.com.au/images/SOLO-DL-photo.png

265 Centennial Parkway North Unit#2 Hamilton ON L8E 4Y5 905-667-8828 or email dov [at] nv auto dot ca

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/59810_126122754106055_125971574121173_162781_18575 28_n.jpg

LaszloT
04-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Dov,
I've always wanted one of these dataloggers but was never serious enough to justify it. The Solo seems to be making lapping dataloggers more accessible, so I'd like to put it on my wish list for when I get some disposable cash.

What retail does the entry-level Solo start at, for my own personal budgetting purposes?

GT42R
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
The Solo is $399 and the Solo DL is $699. I have both in stock ready to be picked up or I can ship to your location.

Thanks
Dov

Guillermo
05-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Dov,
Can an external GPS antenna be added? If so, how much for the external GPS antenna?
I'm thinking for arrive and drive kart racing keeping the Solo unit under my race suit and securing the external GPS antenna somewhere solid on the kart.
I'm selling my old trusty black Racepak G2X it's too combersome for karting and for moving from car to car. This Solo is much better with an internal battery etc...
G

GT42R
05-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Dov,
Can an external GPS antenna be added? If so, how much for the external GPS antenna?
I'm thinking for arrive and drive kart racing keeping the Solo unit under my race suit and securing the external GPS antenna somewhere solid on the kart.
I'm selling my old trusty black Racepak G2X it's too combersome for karting and for moving from car to car. This Solo is much better with an internal battery etc...
G

Sorry there is no support for a external antenna. That being said I do run a SOLO on the floor of my race car with no satellite issues. Maybe you could mount it somewhere using the mounting bracket and a hose clamp.

Dov

Guillermo
06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Dov,
Does the Aim Solo DL (OBDII/CAN bus model) come with the suction cup mount for $699 (Canadian dollars? + Tax?)
G

GT42R
06-11-2012, 03:56 PM
The mount is a extra $50... Give me a call I'm sure we can work something out.

Dov

Serge
08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
can this unit be used to trace out the course layout and keeping it on file (for instance i do a morning trackwalk along the left edge and then the right edge of the track) and then record my run within that frame?

GT42R
09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the late reply but better late than never. All you need to do is one lap from the centre of the track. You then tell the timer the width of the track and your done. It will be saved in the SOLO and then you can download it to your PC and add splits and what not. Its that easy.... Using the MyLaps system the SOLO is within a thousandth. Not too shabby for a GPS unit.

SajBT36
10-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Will definitely be buying one for next season.

Do you know if the DL can interface with a '97 Miata?

Guillermo
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
1997 is too old so it will not be able to read much info from OBDII and the data will be very slow like 1 Hz. Try with mine to see what it can do.

celestspeed3
12-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Can I meet up with someone and try this on my car?

I want to buy one but I want to try the DL one and see what exactly I can datalog to see if it's worth it.

Guillermo
12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I live in downtown Toronto on King St West near Bathurst. Send me a message to meet up and we will see what data a Solo DL can record from your car.

Guillermo
02-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Is the AIM Solo DL worth it for old OBDII cars?
Check this out:

With my Solo DL, as expected, I successfully gathered awesome data channels from a new Scion FRS:
Steering wheel position, brake pressure, throttle position, RPM, coolant Temperature and many many more.

People kept asking me if it's worth getting the more expensive Solo DL that plugs into the OBDII/CAN bus port if they only have an older car.

During the AIM seminar at the Canadian Motorsports expo I learned how to configure AIM Solo DL to read older generic OBDII cars. Today I set it up and drove around the block. The following data channels gathered data from my manual transmission 2000 Honda Insight:

OBDII_MAP [mbar] = Manifold Absolute Pressure
OBDII_IAT [Celcius] = Intake Air Temperature
GPS_Speed [Km/hr]
OBDII_Speed [Km/hr]
OBDII_RPM [rpm]
External Battery [V] = Car battery voltage
OBDII_ECT [Celcius] = Engine Coolant Temperature
OBDII_TPS [%] = Throttle Position Sensor
Calculated_Gear [#]
GPS_LatAcc [g] = GPS Lateral Acceleration (cornering Gs)
GPS_LongAcc [g] = GPS Longitudinal Acceleration (acceleration and braking Gs)
GPS_Position Accuracy [m]
GPS_Heading [deg]
GPS_Gyro [deg/s]
GPS_Altitude [m]
GPS_Slope [deg]
Lateral_acc [g] = Accelerometer data showing turning Gs
Longitudinal_a [g] = Accelerometer data showing acceleration and braking Gs
Vertical_acc [g] = Accelerometer data showingVertical Gs (good for rally cars and jumps!)
Internal Battery [V] = Solo DL internal battery voltage
GPS_Nsat [#] = Number of GPS satellites found with good signal strength

Many of the OBDII channels are slower at about 1Hz in the older cars like my Insight, compared to the new cars like Scion FRS that gathers OBDII/CAN data at 10Hz. But valuable data at 1 Hz is enough to get a lot of value out of it when analyzing the car and the driver on the track. The GPS data and G-force data is 10Hz regardless of the car.
In conclusion, I highly recommend the Solo DL over the regular Solo for people with any OBDII car (about 1996 model year and newer) that is serious about advanced data acquisition analysis. Throttle position, RPM and engine coolant temperatures are very useful to analyse along with speed and lateral G graphs in relation to track position.
On the Mosport GP track for example you can try little by little covering your rad to improve aerodynamics while keeping track if the engine temperature is affected (NASCAR qualifying trick I have been told)
G