PDA

View Full Version : Spring Run Off Rally 2012

STeveD
04-29-2012, 11:45 AM
It was a great Saturday in Havelock.. A little crisp, but bright, sunny and dry. So unfortunately, no mud covered car pictures after this event. We didn't have a large crowd at this event (10 competitor cars) but there were new faces in the novice group which is great to see! (Almost) Everyone indulged in some hearty and inexpensive breakfast at the Captain's Table. A few navigators had to refrain. Trevor spent most of his breakfast time coaching a new team on some of the instructions they might see.

Louis promised a new route and it was a good one. A few intersections mid-route looked familiar, but there were a lot of new sections. I was surprised at how many T intersections there were with islands in them! These add extra complication for navigators because it technically creates a new road 20m apart, so in a tulip or straightline section, the navigators have to be on the ball.

The OPP seemed to be having a good behaviour blitz day as well in the Havelock area! At least 5 cars were active on the rally route. No rally competitors were stopped, because they're all doing at least 5% below the speed limit, but we observed some locals sat at the side of the road with the OPP for a bit.

It didn't take long for us to make our first mistake in section 2, a straight line diagram for experts. IIRC, I think we had a "Rallying with Ruby" error (where left means right and right means left) and we ended up going a little too far before figuring out that something was wrong. A 1.5 minute TA at CP1 helped us fix that.

Embarassingly enough, Louis had warned us about our second error at the driver's meeting. There was ONE "No Winter Maintenance" road that we would use throughout the rally and I neglected to turn onto it because it looked like someone's driveway. Yup, just like he described at the driver's meeting. I think that Opal told me to look for a left hand turn, not a left hand trail. Doh! I had totally forgotten what Louis said to us a half hour earlier. Trevor was alert enough to have seen Louis on the other side of the road in a small dip peaking up like Kilroy and watching all of the cars struggle with this one. Sure enough, two instructions later, a checkpoint. That was our second Time Allowance (TA) at 6.5 minutes, plus a 0.5 penalty for using a second TA. Needless to say, we started to feel our rally was going pretty crappy at that point.

Then we seemed to get our stuff together for a while. Section 3, a "plot your route on a map" section had just one CP that we zeroed. Yay! Something was going right that day.

Section 4 was fun... a "choose your tulip" array based on what the intersection to end up at looks like. This instruction style has to be done live for the navigator (they can't work ahead.) We zeroed the CP in section 4.

Section 5 had advanced columnar instructions... not too hard for Opal and we zeroed the one CP in section 5 as we exchanged cards with Martin at the CP.

Section 6 had "Rules" which we kind of like. Trevor and Ted ended up on one wonderfully narrow and winding road in this section with a high CAS only to realize about 100m in that they had made a wrong turn about 1km earlier so they shouldn't be there. Ooops. The road was too narrow for a three point turn, so Trevor kept driving, hoping for a driveway or something to turn around in. He didn't find one, but the road widened just enough about another 150m later... and that's when he saw the tire marks from OUR handbrake turn in the middle of the road (still less than 2 lanes wide.) Yup, they were about 7 minutes behind us on the road and finding the same mistake that we made.

BUT! All was not lost! The next CP was timed to the minute. That meant that Opal and I could be up to 59 seconds late and STILL Zero the CP. But the CP came a little too soon, 1.4 km after we were back on route. And it was teasingly visible from a long distance as we crested a hill. Maybe, just maybe, we could zero it. As we're starting to approach though, another competitor in a silver Jeep was getting in our way... literally! They were coming from the opposite direction and they stopped just just to our side of the CP car in the oncoming lane. We wouldn't be able to get through! Well... maybe they left us enough room. "No! No! What are they doing??" ... we see that they start making a labouriously painful to watch three point turn across the road, blocking our path to the CP car. Now we're right on them, at a complete stop, 20 feet from the CP car run by AndrewR and his wife Kolet, and their turn was done, so now they'd go through right? Nope, seems like the navigator wasn't sure if they wanted to do that yet. They hesitated, and the road wasn't big enough to go three wide past the CP car, so I don't attempt to pass because there's no shoulder. Boy, I wish that I had video for this one, though I'd have to censor the language a LOT.... did they even know we were there? Finally, they go through and stop up past the CP car. A 1 minute penalty for us.

Thanks Yevgeniy. :spin: :bangyerhead: :lol:

Then... I get out and ask for my sticker... the driver of the Silver Jeep didn't even get out and get a sticker. They just continued on down the road. Maybe Dan was hesitant to get out of the car after that, but I think they had already been through CP A6 already. ;)

STeveD
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Our pain didn't end there. In Section 7, which was alternating tulips, we were looking for a junction left. And we come across one! It's a road with a name on the GPS, but there's no road sign. There's also no "Not a Through road", "No Winter Maintenance", "No Exit" yellow sign either. Hrmm, well, it looks a bit more like a trail than a road, but Louis has put us on trails in past Spring Run Offs.... We stop and debate whether to take it or not for about 30 seconds, and because CAS 65 looked too optimistic for that road, we continue on. Sure enough, there's Ross and Janet around the next bend at CP 7 where we arrived 0.5 minutes late. I ask them to note a bad instruction in the CP log for potential after rally weasel words, but honestly at this point, Opal and I are sure that we're going to be last in class. As I get back to the CP car, Opal tells me no.... that wasn't an error. The Junction Left we were looking for had a Stop sign from the other direction, which the "trail" we stopped at didn't have. ARGH! Louis got us again.

Then, finally, a ray of hope. I had the HAM radio on in the car to the marshal's channel. They're careful not to reveal anything important because they know that competitors are listening. Ross comes on the radio, "I just had an interesting TA request. The driver just came up and asked for a TA. I asked him how many minutes he wanted, and I got the most interesting response: 'Whatever will make me zero it.'" I asked on the radio "I don't suppose that was Car 3 or 9, was it?" (Leonards or T2) "It was indeed car 9." Wooohooo!

Section 8 was repeats of instructions from earlier in the rally, so Opal had to note all of those up to that point. Everything was going swimmingly, until she curses at about 10km into the section. "The CAS are out of order! We were doing the wrong speed earlier on." So she calculates how many km, at how many km/h we drove differently, and we do the math. We have to drive 8km/h below the target speed for 1.5km to fix it. Except, somehow, the math got screwed up. It was only 2 km/h difference, and we end up 0.5 minutes early into CP 8. Oops... well... this rally would be one of our throw-aways I guess. I ask at the CP car if they had seen the Leonards or Trevor's car. The Leonards yes, but Trevor no. Okay... is 2nd place possible? You never know... if Ted hadn't executed better TA's up to that point, we'd be good. The previous radio transmission had me hoping for second, but expecting third.

I think it was a little while after that moment that we encountered T2 sitting at an intersection facing us, trying to figure out something that went wrong for them.

Then... another mistake at the end of section 8. We're sitting at a T intersection at the end of section 8 ready to Zero and go on to the start of Section 9, a blind map. Problem was, the description was for a four way. "We're at 22.64km, what is the end of section distance?" "#*&! it's 18.19!!" Yup, we're now about 4.5km off route, and we'll be 9km behind by the time we fix it. So we make our way back, just one more nail in the coffin.

Section 9's blind map was surprisingly easy to execute thanks to Louis using a clear and well scaled map. CP 9 at 17.77 km into section 9 we take another 5.5 TA from the previous error for a 0.1 late (plus 0.5 penalty!). This was Peter W's CP with Louis & Son providing support and taking photos. I pondered putting the car sideways before the CP car due to the photo op, but there wasn't room to do it safely. We didn't even get out of the car at this CP... Louis handed us our sticker through the window.

Section 10 had Louis being kind to us... no tricks, just non-cummulative distances and an ET to the finish. We zero CP 10 and proceed to the Captain's Table to drown our sorrows in Ice Water and eat some good halibut as we chat with our fellow competitors. The experts changed to different tables twice to accommodate the growing crowd. The Leonards struggled as well, using two TA's, but seemed the most optimistic. We were pretty sure we had third. Trevor and Ted seemed to just be glad the rally was over.

Martin L was working like a demon on the scores and we had barely ordered before the first printing was out with the Expert and Intermediate scores. I hadn't done all of our penalty calculations because there was information missing on 3 of them, so I couldn't calculate everything. My jaw dropped when they passed me the scores. 3.1 total in 1st place with a 5 minute gap to Trevor and Ted in second. What the hell happened?? I honestly didn't care. I wasn't going to check ANY math. I shut my mouth, thanked my lucky stars, and passed the scores to Opal who was just as stunned as I was.

The Leonards took a massive 5 minute early into CP A6 which was the timed to the minute that Yevgeniy and Dan blocked us at. If that was an error he could move up to second place, so Bruce investigated. He had asked for a 8.5 TA there and wondered if the CP worker had really written a 3.5 which would have given them a zero there. Nope, Andrew and Kolet's writing was perfectly clear... it was indeed 8.5. I imagine that Jane poked him a little on the ride home on that one.

Yevgeniy ended up in second intermediate behind Roger and Linda, so some good points for SPDA at this rally.

Again, Louis & Sons, and all of the volunteers, we had a great time! Great job, PMSC!

STeveD
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Here's the expert instructions if you want to see some of our pain. Again, these were fair and well executed by Louis. It's the expert competitors that were off their game on Saturday.