PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell Questions - help.

SinglemaltWSKY
06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
OK - looking at ditching the stock fuel tank in the BMW project car. The fuel pump is dumbed down through a regulator to 6psi, which is fine, however this has cause the siphon system that relies on higher pressures to suck gas from one section of the split stock tank to the other. Long story short, instead of dickering around with another pump to move fuel - we are looking at a cell setup instead.

Reading the various rule/safety books from CASC-OR it looks like these are the common rules:
1) Fuel cell must meet FIA regulation for carrying fuel in a race car (approved fuel cell foam, inner bladder tank, metal container)
2) Fuel cell must not be in the drivers compartment and separated by a bulkhead (seems obvious)
3) Depending on class, must be as close to the original gas tank location where design allows.

Are there any other concerns I could be missing? Again, this is a toy, but I want to make sure we are as safe as possible and fit as many event regulations as possible.

Any help as usual is greatly appreciated

J

STeveD
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Hrmmm... are you looking at race rules? I thought the OTA rules were softer on fuel cells. Unless that's the new SCCA version of the autoslalom rules... FIA compliance bumps the price up!

I ran a 5 gallon plastic fuel cell in my ice racer... very convenient rules in that series.

SinglemaltWSKY
06-19-2012, 07:07 AM
I would rather spend a bit more and fit more rule books, just in case we want to try something else with the car. If we're missing any major safety aspect I really want to find out before we work on the car running new lines and fabricating parts.

racecartech
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
CALL ME

SinglemaltWSKY
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
LOL - will do Scott. We also need to chat about our rear camber. It must have been setup with Autoslalom in mind - boy did we ever chew up tires.
http://i.imgur.com/ctqmk.jpg

racecartech
06-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes it was set for autoslalam, (not drifting) and I have seen pics. I will adjust it for more of what you are doing with the car

SinglemaltWSKY
06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah - that was the inside right, on a predominantly right hand turn track with no LSD in the back.....lots of inside wheel spin and massive amounts of inexperience while I learn.

Lloyd
06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
A diff will save you serious money in the long run if you will keep driving like that and doing events like that.

SinglemaltWSKY
06-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Already shopping for one - looking at Quaife Engineering or WaveTrac.......not sure yet.