PDA

View Full Version : CSCS Grand Bend recap!! Subaru sets record CSCS lap time.

GT42R
06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
ATTENTION NEWS, SPORTS AND AUTO EDITORS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NV Auto sets new CSCS track record at round 2 Grand Bend Ontario

Prep for CSCS Round #2 started the Monday following Round #1. It was a busy couple weeks at the shop with a jam packed schedule of regular maintenance, two customer race cars to finish and topped off with our tuner coming up from the States to tweak the maps on some of our recent builds. Amidst all of the chaos, we needed to find time to get the Orange Beast ready. Big changes for Round #2 would come in the form of new wheels and tires – flat black Rota SVN’s THANKS TO WHEELDUDE measuring 18”x10.5” wrapped in Hankook Z214 C91 slicks, which we’ve been very anxious to get our hands on. This tire is only available in a 275/35/18 and is the tire of choice for a couple of teams who seem to know a thing or two about Time Attack (ahem, Sierra-Sierra & GST Motorsports). With the truck loaded up, it was time to depart for Grand Bend.

We headed out to the unfamiliar track on Saturday morning to take advantage of open lapping and to get a feel for the track. The goal for the day was to set the suspension up and get a heat cycle into the new tires. We suffered from some electrical gremlins early on, but were able to sort that quickly and get down to business. We started out on our Continental slicks while we dialed the suspension in before switching to the new Hankooks to see what all the fuss was about. Well, the fuss was worth nearly 2 seconds off our lap times. With a low 0:55s lap time in the bag and a setting sun, we decided to call it a day.

Sunday – race day. We arrived at the track shortly after 8am to meet a couple of our team members who had just arrived via an early morning convoy from Hamilton. With all hands on deck, we were setup and ready to go through tech in no time. We made use of a couple early practice sessions to feel the car out before the track became too crowded. All was well, so we opted to get out again for the last advanced session of the day to put some heat into the tires before the competition began. Tire pressures were different today as it was overcast and cooler than yesterday. This plays a crucial role and has a significant impact on the car’s on-track behavior. We were happy with the pressures we were running, but the challenge now was to achieve those same pressures with cold tires, as the wait from our last practice session to our timed run was well over an hour. Nam, Tim and Paul broke out the notepad and went to work determining what our cold pressures should be in order to hit our target pressures on the track. Very well done, boys.

In addition to our own race programme, we also support a number of customer cars at events. Today, Kyle (kpower) and Jeff (Almost Hip) were both competing in the Super Street AWD class. Also new for this year NV Auto is supporting Brad Paauw and his RB25 powered 240SX in CSCS drift competition and DMCC.

Jeff suffered from a small water pump leak at the end of CSCS Round #1, which turned into a large water pump leak after his first session on the track today. We were able to source a gasket and Nam went to town replacing the gasket and timing belt at a record pace. A small crowd had even gathered to watch this rally style service take place. Success! Jeff was back on track.

Hurry up and wait – that is all that can describe the gap in time between the final drivers meeting and the point you’re being counted down to start. The crowds have gathered and the excitement is building. We set out for a quick warm-up lap to get the tires working and then it was game on. We started with a low 0:55s lap, followed by a mid 0:54s lap and then went faster again with a 0:54.038 – a new CSCS track record. A great way to finish the weekend for us!

Congratulations to all of the other competitors! We would like to extend a huge thanks to the SPDA community for all of your continued support and those who came out to cheer us on. Big thanks to Nam, Tim, Alex, Paul, Jeff, Gerrit, Kyle and to Maria, for putting up with my bad racing habit.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/487384_412130042156076_1300034435_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/318010_10151870868480523_1957339394_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/303606_10151851076525133_335709265_n.jpg

101rs
06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Congrats on the track record and win. Looks like you enjoyed the hankooks. It will be interesting to see what you run at TMP with them.
Sunday was a good day for NV Auto prep cars, as I also got my first Provincial overall event win for the season.

GT42R
06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Good job Mike!!

STeveD
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Great job, Dov! I need to try to beat you at the CSCS DDT event July 14th.... hopefully shakedown goes well on July 7th.

GT42R
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Sounds good!! You do have the upper hand at DDT I have never run that track only big track. Maybe I will come out to OTA on the 7th at TMP and see how competitive my car is with OTA track layout.