PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - a few questions

SinglemaltWSKY
08-27-2012, 02:59 PM
The car is finally moving well - however we're now finding that on bigger tracks, our OEM brakes are not up to the task. Getting lots of fade when the heat is up.
I've looked at the big brake kits, not sure I want to spend that kind of money just yet, can't believe how much they're asking.

Considering that we are taking our car to Autoslalom events as well as large tracks that require heavy extended braking - what kind of rotor/pad combination would you guys suggest?

Slotted vs drilled rotors? Slotted AND drilled?
Pads - is there a happy medium considering the types of events we attend are so different?

We have a proportioning valve installed for brake balance.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

elementZ
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
what kind of pads/rotors/fluid are you running right now?

SinglemaltWSKY
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
OEM solid rotors (in good shape) - when I say solid, they are vented, but not drilled or slotted.
Pads are Hawk semi metallic (not sure the exact spec)
DOT 4 for fluid.

STeveD
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Ask around if there are bigger OEM brake options such as M3 that will fit and might be cheaper used than Stoptech or the like.

Hawk DTC70 work cold and hot, but eat rotors. Put those on the front. DTC30 for the rear. available at JRP. Alternatively, performance Friction 07 or 01 compound for front, 97's should work for rear.

Get rid of the fogs and run ducts to the hubs/rotors. Motul RBF660 will help with the boiling.

They're not cheap, but two piece Performance Friction rotors for the front are my new favorite rotors.

SinglemaltWSKY
08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Great information Steve - thanks!

The ducting is a great idea, didn't even cross my mind, but now that you point it out.
We're due for new pads, so I'll start there.