PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Subaru WRX Engine Rebuild

LaszloT
03-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Folks,

If I end up picking up an older high-mileage WRX like the example below (250k km), what options are there for an essentially stock engine rebuild and what should I watch out for?

JoeT
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
There are tons of options for the stock engine rebuilds. The 2.0 Litre WRX's were practically bullet proof, no need to worry about those, the high milage ones, depending on the usage, may require a turbo rebuild / upgrade. But you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Cavemanrjc
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
See told ya lol ej2.0 is a great eng, some years had stupid tgvs but thats just a deleat and flash. Some ate oil, but rare. And some had a very stiff clutch pedel. So when did you want to look at it?

Navigator
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Engines were not as big a problem as the gear boxes were. If that is OK, then like Joe said the turbo would be the only other item that may need replacing sooner then later.

LaszloT
03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
There's no one's expertise I trust more, Caveman.

What do you suggest?
I could take some time off during the day to view it with you, but this auto is at Bay & Queen in Toronto (see map below).

If I cover your costs to make your way here, might you consider it?

LaszloT
03-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Here's the kijiji link:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-Subaru-WRX-Turbo-5-SPEED-MANUAL-Blue-Rally-W0QQAdIdZ461080395

And their website:

http://www.autolamino.com/

Cavemanrjc
03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Ya man ill drive down. Think it will be there saterday? Start new job tomorrow so cant make it during the week unless evening.
Pm me on fb to set up time. Gear boxes are fine if your smoth, if not well..... lol

LaszloT
03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Saturday sounds good, and congrats on the new job. I was going to suggest you try at Perry Automotive if you were still looking.

I'm watching Christine sing backup with her choir at the Foreigner concert Fri night, but we'll be back first thing Saturday morning.

I'll leave you a PM on Facebook to find out what timing might work best for you.

Inn-Tune
03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
They die via rod bearing failure. Some do it with low miles with good maintenance on a stock car and some that should have the issue with high miles and mediocre maintenance on a modded setup don't. It's very strange how it doesn't necessarily happen on the cars that I'd expect to see the issue on, but it's the definite weak point of that engine. We've replaced a ton of them on stock cars for this issue as well as some in modded cars.

A simple and inexpensive oil analysis will let you know if a particular engine has a pending bearing issue. Blackstone labs and Amsoil offer this service to name a few.

All North American WRXs have TGVs, but I agree they're not a big concern.

LaszloT
03-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Mike,
Have you a alternate suggestion for a very affordable WRX or STi that I can progressively improve; refresh engine, suspension and drivetrain to ultimately develop it into a street machine that I can track occasionally?

I could look into acquiring a different year or model if it made more sense to do that.

Robin
03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
there's a nice 07wrx hatch here in Ottawa f/s. under 100k kms on it and old couple who own it.
http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/2007-Subaru-WRX_19143012

a club ncsc exec looked at it and said it was great buy. he needs a car now but they're waiting for their 2014 forester cvt to come in.

LaszloT
03-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks Robin, that one's been sold.