PDA

View Full Version : AWD Question!

QUATTRODUDE
04-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Hey guys, got a quick question for the awd guys out there. I am new to the awd platform and was wondering if this issue I noticed with my car is a problem or an awd Characteristic. I notice that when in driving slow like in a parking lot or something, If I make a sharp turn the front end almost feels unstable to me, tires also feel weird almost like their gonna fall of or something! I ask if its an awd thing because I recall having a 4x4 truck many years ago and in 4x4 mode it felt similar! Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!Car is an audi a4 quattro!ThanksMark

JoeT
04-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Nope, not normal. If the center diff is siezing, then you'll feel like it's having a hard time turning at slow speeds.

QUATTRODUDE
04-09-2013, 03:56 PM
uh oh! looks like I gotta send her in! tthanks joe!

JoeT
04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
It could be any of the following items, Audi's have Haldex clutch type center differentials, it maybe getting worn out. It could also be the rear differential, or it can be a failing front CV joint.

if you're near the Georgetown area, you can take the car to Fourstar Motorsports, Frank knows Audis in and out.

QUATTRODUDE
04-09-2013, 04:24 PM
either way it sounds expensive for this car, lol Georgetown is quite far for me but thx for the recommendation!

QUATTRODUDE
04-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I was just quickly looking over my car and I noticed that the balljoint on the tie rod end is a little loose, could this be the culprit?

JoeT
04-09-2013, 06:18 PM
if it's wobbling, it could be, but if it's chugging and acting like a locked 4X4 then it's the diffs. Regardless, please fix that balljoint.. LOL

QUATTRODUDE
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Oh it will be fixed! thx for the tech help joe!