PDA

View Full Version : Handling Improvement Priority List

LaszloT
04-24-2013, 10:40 AM
If my application is a daily driver with the occasional Autocross and lapping day, what should the priorities be for handling improvement?

1. Driver training,
2. Summer performance tires (mine are 225/45/R17 Direzza ZIIs),
3. Performance alignment,

...and not sure about the rest, but here are some options:

4. Springs,
5. Bracing,
6. Bushings,
7. Brakes, or
8. Swaybars.

Where should the first $ be put to be most wisely spent?

Daniel
04-24-2013, 11:13 AM
If you'll be spending some time on the track...

Upgraded brake pads, brake fluid and maybe ss brake lines first. But swaybars should be right up there too - likely the biggest bang for the buck in terms of a handling upgrade.

Springs/struts next.

The rest can come later...

SajBT36
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I'd echo Daniel:

I got huge bang for the buck out of front and rear sways (replace the endlinks too).

Also smoked HP+ brake pads at DDT in about 6 laps on the WRX... Not sure what you should be using there.

Speaking of driver training... Are you attending the OTA school at DDT?

LaszloT
04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Speaking of driver training... Are you attending the OTA school at DDT?

I'm looking for free track days Barry so I wanted to volunteer at the OTA school, but I will have kids that weekend and am not available. Time Attack excites me way more than Autocross, so I'll be involved in some way going forward.

Can't let you guys have ALL the fun. Haha.

LaszloT
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
May I ask for some brake pad and fluid suggestions then, for an '04 WRX used as a daily driver and the occasional track day?

And what do you think about this COBB Front & Rear Anti-Sway Bar Kit for Subaru 02-07 WRX below? I like that it add balance to the chassis handling to go with a matched set, even though this approach is more expensive.

STeveD
04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
your tire choice was good.

MikeV tried the upgraded swaybar route with stock springs/dampers and kept breaking metal endlinks. After going springs and Konis... the bars work better.

I went the sway bar route first, and now that I have done proper spring and damper settings I am happy going back to stock front swaybar and the softest setting on my adjustable rear.

Brake fluid: Motul RBF600 or 660. Pads... can't say I ever really found a good dual purpose pad. I would get a second set of cheap front rotors and use PFC-01's on the them for track days.

Daniel
04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Just to confuse things even further...

I never had any issues with breaking end links with upgraded sways and stock suspension - but I only ever upgraded the rear sway bar on my Subaru's. All of them... :)

In my opinion, the only way you can eliminate the need/benefit of the upgraded sway bars is by going very stiff with spring and damper settings. Not what you want for a daily driver.

I've always been a big fan of Hawk HP+ pads. I still run them on the M3. BUT, you have to be willing to deal with the noise and dust. I was also quite pleased with Ferrodo 2500's on my STI. Quiet and low dust but I really missed the initial bite of the HP+. I used to swap rims/tires for each event but that's where I drew the line... I have never been willing to swap rotors and pads. SteveD is hardcore!! ;)

In terms of fluid, my choice is ATE SuperBlue, but I've been very please with Motul RBF600 as well.

MikeV
04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
I snapped a couple sets of front OEM end links with the COBB swaybar kit and stock springs & konis. I then installed after market front endlinks and didn't have a problem.

LaszloT
04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
I've always been a big fan of Hawk HP+ pads. I still run them on the M3. BUT, you have to be willing to deal with the noise and dust. I was also quite pleased with Ferrodo 2500's on my STI. Quiet and low dust but I really missed the initial bite of the HP+. I used to swap rims/tires for each event but that's where I drew the line... I have never been willing to swap rotors and pads. SteveD is hardcore!! ;)

Ok JoeT, I'll take you up on your offer to get the spare racing brake pads you have on hand at "a song". I'm not shy to take advantage of such generosity. : D

LaszloT
04-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Upgraded brake pads, brake fluid and maybe ss brake lines first.

How does stainless steel brake lines help braking performance, and do you need these lines to take advantage of the top-of-the-line brake fluid that was also recommended?

JoeT
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Ok JoeT, I'll take you up on your offer to get the spare racing brake pads you have on hand at "a song". I'm not shy to take advantage of such generosity. : D

Yours anytime you want it... it's sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Stainless lines flex or baloon much less that stock rubber lines, so they increase pedal feel making it easier for you to modulate your brakes. Couple that with RBF600 and your pedal feel will be noticably different.

celestspeed3
04-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Yours anytime you want it... it's sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Stainless lines flex or baloon much less that stock rubber lines, so they increase pedal feel making it easier for you to modulate your brakes. Couple that with RBF600 and your pedal feel will be noticably different.

+1 Castrol SRF is very good brake fluid as well.

STeveD
04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
SRF is very good but pricey. Your DS2500's or HP+ will fade before the Motul RBF600 fluid does.

A master cylinder brace completes the package. My feet are kinda big and I also have Frank @ Fourstar weld me an adjustble rod to the brake pedal to optimize pedal position for Heel-Toe.

dubya_rx
04-25-2013, 07:28 PM
I've used a lot of different brake pads, and I'll second Steve's opinion of the PFC pads. Same with RBF600.

They are not that hard to swap, especially if you are swapping tires anyway.

Also the master cylinder brace will probably add more feel than the stainless lines.

My next addition (from stock) will be bracing, but only because it's not penalized in OTA.

STeveD
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
When you get lines, make sure they're coated on the outside. I like clear coating so you can see if there's a defect or wear in the steel braiding and if you do get a rub, it doesn't hit the metal braiding right away. JRP carries StopTech with clear coating. Chris (sales [at] tougetuning [dot] com) carries Technafit and two or three types of master cylinder brace. I've used both types of lines with no trouble... nicer hardware on the Stoptech. Just remember to specify the coating.

Navigator
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
- ATE SuperBlue all the way (comes in blue and gold), with the Motul on a daily driver expect to change the fluid more often. Just remember to have someone who knows how to bleed brakes help you, done poorly results in worse braking.
- Like Daniel, for starters bar and links on the rear only.

LaszloT
04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks Navigator,
I'll turn to you for brake fluid when the time comes and love your (and Daniel's) suggestion about the rear bar and endlinks first, as it reduces the initial cost of my upgrade path.

SajBT36
04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Just to confuse things further: I found a huge improvement when I upgraded the front swaybar after running a full season with only the rear upgraded.