View Full Version : Patch a track tire

hesimeustic
09-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey all, I'm new to the forum here although I was out for an SPDA day at DDT on July 7th. I was out at Mosport long track on Tuesday and at some point got a screw in one of my tires: based on shape and size of the head I'm hoping it's a short one like one of these:
http://www.wikihow.com/images/8/8b/Type-of-screw-Step-1.jpg
It's in the meaty part of the tread, not in a groove, and fortunately not in the sidewall. I haven't pulled it out of the tire and haven't lost pressure either, drove home on it and it was fine. I would have had it fixed at Mosport but the tire guys weren't there on Tuesday. The reason I'm posting here is that a lot of the guys at the track were telling me that a good tire shop can remove the tire and patch it professionally from the inside. If anyone here has done this I'd like to hear about who did the work as I'm leery of putting a regular plug into a track tire.

LaszloT
09-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Share a pictrue of the screw in the tire, please. You may just be able to remove it if it's not gone through the sealing part of the tire carcass.

hesimeustic
09-13-2013, 04:04 PM

Share a pictrue of the screw in the tire, please. You may just be able to remove it if it's not gone through the sealing part of the tire carcass.

STeveD
09-15-2013, 11:43 PM
It's in the right spot to be patched, and yes an inside plug glued in is safe to do on track tires. Not sure if Andrew at JRP-online.com is doing repairs, but I'd start with a call to him. Depending on your location, he might be able to recommend someone if he can't do it.

hesimeustic
09-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Steve.

It's in the right spot to be patched, and yes an inside plug glued in is safe to do on track tires. Not sure if Andrew at JRP-online.com is doing repairs, but I'd start with a call to him. Depending on your location, he might be able to recommend someone if he can't do it.

hesimeustic
09-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Just quick note to follow up and say I met with Andrew at JRP and the service was excellent! All patched up and ready for next season

JoeT
09-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Most of us agree, Andrew is amazing to deal with. Glad you're good to go!