PDA

View Full Version : Building an EJ22G Powerplant [from the Impreza STi 22B GC8 Series (JDM)]

LaszloT
10-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Would it be worth the challenges trying to replicate this fabulous powerplant, or just use more available parts to target similar power levels if one were looking to build a separate performance replacement engine? I'm dreaming at this point, but all projects have to start somewhere. Ha ha.

EJ22G [from Wikpedia]
Phase two 2.2 litre closed deck, based on the EJ20K STI engine. Uses identical cylinder heads and turbocharger but with a unique closed deck 2.2L crank case. The pistons are factory forged items, the connecting rods are stock. Although being closed deck, the block does not feature oil squirters for piston cooling, opposed to the EJ20 closed deck block and the USDM-only Legacy EJ22T closed deck block.
• Displacement: 2212 cc
• Bore: 96.9 mm
• Stroke: 75.0 mm
• Compression Ratio: 8.0:1
• Valvetrain: DOHC
• Fuel Delivery multi point fuel injection

EJ22G Turbo DOHC
• Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm
• Torque: 362.8 N•m (268 lb•ft) @ 3200 rpm

Usage:
• Impreza STi 22B GC8 series(JDM)

STeveD
10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes, it can be worth it. First you have to source a decent USDM 2.2T and you pick up Oil Squirters to boot. But the stock heads didn't breathe well on this motor, so most will want to convert to DOHC heads, which involves some machining cooling passages. Not a big expense. The other aspect is the center thrust bearing being less reliable than the end mount on the STi block/cranks, but this too can be resolved at minimal expense.

The 2.2 closed deck also has a reputation for overheating when pushed to high hp levels compared to open and semi-closed blocks, but I think that a decent shop used to working with closed deck blocks can avoid this. You might want to consider a very good radiator and upgraded fans as a potential added expense if you want to go high power.

The benefit to the closed deck is that you get good cylinder wall stability and a large surface area for head gasket mating.

The downside is that you're still dealing with 2.2L base displacement vs. 2.5L and thus slower potential spool and airflow. Again, you can combat a bit of this by using a 79mm STi crank to get volume closer to 2.4L, but you'll want a very good engine builder putting this hybrid together.

The alternative is doing what I did... picking up an STi block cheap, sending it to Outfront Motorsports (http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/engine_blocks.htm) for closed deck modification ($800 USD, plus core, plus ~$140 shipping back to Canada). Then you already have a block with the proper channels for DOHC heads and 2.5L of displacement with a 79mm crank and better oil recirculation. Sleeving will further enhance the strength.

Stroking beyond 79mm will further enhance the displacement, cost and complexity at that point. From the owner of a stroked 2.5L, I recommend that you avoid this route for anything other than a dedicated track / race car. 79mm is the smarter way to go.

Mike Huml at Bilt Industries / SlowBoy quoted me a short block prepped as described once. And CanJam can do the same type of modifications. They can probably also supply a 2.2L.

LaszloT
10-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I like the short stroke (keeps piston speed down), don't need more displacement, and would only be seeking the 22B stock power levels (Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm), so likely don't even need a closed deck block.

Where would I start to end up with a motor like this, including sourcing suitable heads, turbocharger and mating ECU? I'm talking about a swap, as I would keep the original motor for putting back together stock, at some later time.

JoeT
10-16-2013, 11:15 AM
For that HP level, I wouldn't spend $11,000.00 dollars on the swap. For about 2K, you can effectively create similar power and maintain your reliability. Your car has survived for this long, there are better ways to spend that money. A Big 16G + a tune will get you more than the stock 22B power, and not stress things too much.

LaszloT
10-16-2013, 12:49 PM
For that HP level, I wouldn't spend $11,000.00 dollars on the swap. For about 2K, you can effectively create similar power and maintain your reliability. Your car has survived for this long, there are better ways to spend that money. A Big 16G + a tune will get you more than the stock 22B power, and not stress things too much.

Thanks JoeT, I'm assuming you're suggestions are for upgrading my 2.0 L '04 WRX motor. May I please have some specifics?

o turbo (incl. where I might source it),
o turbo-back exhaust suggestions,
o do I need a COBB AP for a pro tune,
o larger injectors, etc?

'04 WRX heads have solid lifters w/valve lash shims, and it's the '04 STi that has AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing and sodium-filled exhaust valves. See here: http://drive2.subaru.com/Win05_WhatsInside.htm

STeveD
10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Stay away from Sodium filled exhaust valves. You want stainless steel or Inconel. Subaru only did sodium filled in the '04 year, then they got smart and went back to solid valves in '05+.

AVCS is for street cars. Track cars you just disable it and go aggressive.

You know, Laszlo... you still haven't told us your short term goal for the car and what you foresee wanting in the next three years. Daily driver? HP goal? What sports for competition (Time Attack, Autoslalom) and uhmmm.... BUDGET.

LaszloT
10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
You know, Laszlo... you still haven't told us your short term goal for the car and what you foresee wanting in the next three years. Daily driver? HP goal? What sports for competition (Time Attack, Autoslalom) and uhmmm.... BUDGET.

Don't complicate my dreams, SteveD. :)

My WRX is going to need to be a daily driver until I can afford a blue '04 or '05 STi as well, and then I'll make this WRX the track car. Until then I'm thinking through (with your help of course) a 2.0L-type replacement motor that has the 22B's performance (Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm).

STeveD
10-16-2013, 03:15 PM
You will want the '05 to '07 STi chassis as your track car. Avoid '04 for track. There's too much stuff that you need to change. (Weak front wheel bearings, Suretrac front diff, yaw sensor integrated into DCCD, sodium filled exhaust valves, etc.)

So, keep the WRX as your fun and peppy street car.

In achieving what I did with my car this year... I agree. It is better to have a dream than a budget if you want to get it done.

LaszloT
10-16-2013, 03:53 PM
So, keep the WRX as your fun and peppy street car.

I'm going to trust you here on this, Mr. Been-there-and-done-that. WRX will remain the daily driver, and I'll seek an '05 to '07 STi chassis for a track car in due course.

JoeT
10-16-2013, 04:05 PM
For your WRX, do the following:

o turbo (incl. where I might source it),
Lots of places: www.builtej.com , blouchturbo.com get yourself a 16G XT if you want to limit yourself to those power levels.

o turbo-back exhaust suggestions,
Locate a 2004 STI stock exhaust, it will fit your car, and you'll save a ton, remember, the 2004 STI's developed 300 HP, therefore the stock exhaust will work with your WRX at 280 Hp.

o do I need a COBB AP for a pro tune,
Go visit Mike and do an open source tune, it's inexpensive and he does a good job (Mike @ innovative)

o larger injectors, etc?
For your power levels 280HP ish.. You can get away with your stock injectors (440cc), or you can source some STI Pink injectors (565cc)

All of the above, including tuning for around 2K ish...

LaszloT
10-17-2013, 09:35 AM
For your WRX, do the following:

o 16G-XT turbo
o OEM '04 STi turbo-back exhaust,
o open source tune (Mike @ innovative)
o stock injectors (440cc), or you can source some STI Pink injectors (565cc)

All of the above, including tuning for around 2K ish...

This is an AWESOME upgrade plan for power, JoeT! Thank you. :)

PaulH
10-17-2013, 07:49 PM
If you want to take a look at the open source option go to romraider.com. Or if you like come over for a coffee and I will show you the open source tune I have for my 04 wrx as well as the various freeware that you will need. I can also show you the "carberry" rom and what that involves.

Paul

LaszloT
10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Sounds great, PaulH. When would be good? I usually have weeknights and alternating weekends free. 416-540-0224 BlackBerry.

PaulH
10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
I will give you a holler later on today.

Paul

Silex
10-21-2013, 11:55 PM
you want 22B power levels on the cheap ?

Ej20H ( twin turbo ) convert to single snail ( 16g would do perfectly ).. the ej20h starts @ 245+bhp w/auto trans ,255-280 on manual trans , just dont push the boost past 20psi on the stock internals ;)