PDA

View Full Version : Triple Gauge Pack Mounting Preferences

LaszloT
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Folks,
If I'm considering to purchase a gauge pack of matching boost, oil pressure and EGT gauges for my '04 WRX in due course, mounting options for a triple gauge pack seem to be :

1. OEM centre dash gauge pod housing, or
2. A-Pillar gauge pod.

What would be your preferences for mounting a triple gauge pack in this auto, and why?

mrNewt
11-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I think center console looks the best... stock look pretty much.
Why!? Hard to say... I guess is a matter of preference and I prefer my interior too be as clean as possible.

It could also be because driving down the road the added thickness to the a-pillar might take away a little more from your field of vision, especially when cornering left or in slight bends to the left.
My Si's pillars are quite thick. A lot of times I got unpleasantly surprise to find out that in certain angles it can hide a whole car...

STeveD
11-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I have three gauges in my center pod, two on the A-pillar, one on the Steering Wheel and one on the blank out plate covering the radio. You could call me a Gauge Aficionado. I still prefer the center pod.

Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost in center pod.
EGT, Coolant temp on A-Pillar
AFR on Steering wheel.
Water Injection gauge on blank-out plate.

CanJam says that's too much information for a driver. ;) As a car owner, I can tell you, there's nothing so pleasant to look at on your long haul up the back straight than all the gauges reading what they should. The Defi's also record three minutes of data, so I can watch a lap playback. That's a nice feature.

LaszloT
11-05-2013, 07:02 PM
I still prefer the center pod.

Ok Gauge Aficionado, how do you read oil temp in that racing '04 STi of yours; sandwich adapter, galley or drain plug sensor?

STeveD
11-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Ok Gauge Aficionado, how do you read oil temp in that racing '04 STi of yours; sandwich adapter, galley or drain plug sensor?

Galley. "That's where Prodrive puts it." I was overruled. I had it tapped into the oil pan previously and it read MUCH higher. Pressure also in the galley.