PDA

View Full Version : Possible to Overwrite Door Locks with Car Running? STi

miatagirl77
04-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Wondering if it's possible to be able to lock the doors to the STi, when the car is running?

It was cold this morning, so I wanted to have the car running for a bit, to defrost the windows (I didn't have the heart to scrape the brand new windshield), but I couldn't lock the doors. My neighbourhood isn't bad, by any means, but I also didn't want to leave the car unlocked, with the keys in the ignition.

Any way to do this?

LaszloT
04-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Aftermarket starter at Can Tire. The factory system prevents you from locking yourself out with the car running.

miatagirl77
04-03-2014, 03:12 PM
That sucks :(

STeveD
04-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Did they get rid of the mechanical key locks on the door now? Used to be able to use the spare key to physically lock it after you stepped out... but that was in the days before proximity locks. Maybe you have to do it with the valet key without a fob in the car.

miatagirl77
04-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I tried that, with the spare and the valet, neither of them worked. I think Las is right. They won't allow anyone to physically lock the door with the car running. Which sucks, since that means I have to be in the car to warm it up. Kinda defeats the purpose, as I don't want to add an aftermarket starter.

I was hoping it was some hidden setting among all the electronics, that I could over-write.

LaszloT
04-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Engines warm up faster under light load, so I'd let it fast idle for a brief 1 - 2 minute warmup and then get underway at an easy pace.

miatagirl77
04-06-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm used to old cars, where the defrost doesn't work quick, but the one in the STi is really fast, so I guess I can accept the inability to lock my doors with the engine running :)