PDA

View Full Version : Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Handling Upgrade

LaszloT
11-13-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm getting a used Whiteline ALK kit for my '04 WRX, which has 60,000km on it. Woo hoo! :)

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/products/whiteline/whi_kca359_1_sd.jpg

Discussion Paper
http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Effect%20of%20WL%20ALK_b.pdf

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / STI)
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2007 WRX / STI) KCA359 at RallySportDirect.com (http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Whiteline-Anti-Lift-Kit-Subaru-Models-inc-2002-2007-WRX-STI)

Fitting Instructions
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/instructions/whiteline/whi_kca359.pdf

I'm hoping that since I'm already running Energy Suspension's Poly bushing kit (see picture below), that I won't see any measurable increase in noise, harshness and vibration [NHV] on my daily driven car that I still want to handle superbly at the track.

LaszloT
02-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Can-Alignment is going to install this Whiteline ALK kit along with a set of STi aluminum lower control arms next week. That way he can confirm the alignment at the same time.

Once that's done, it'll leave only the April install of my new Carbotech AX6 front brake pads to be ready for the season.

I like this. :D

nissannx
02-21-2015, 07:14 AM
That car of yours is just getting better and better!

LaszloT
02-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Thank you, Frank.

Can-Alignment installed this gear today, so we're getting there.

Please excuse the salt - it's winter here, damn it!

LaszloT
02-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Also note in the Whiteline ALK kit install instructions picture below it uses spacers to mount the subframe slightly lower, which might be to provide clearance for the ALK rear bushing support which has a lower drop.

The kit gives the front suspension geometry 1/2 degree more of positive caster, which reportedly provides better traction during braking and acceleration.

It apparently does this despite my idea that More positive caster would make the geometry seem Less agile.

LaszloT
03-02-2015, 10:33 AM
I liked this Whiteline quote in Legacycentralbbs forums:

"- Static or dynamic caster and "caster loss"
Whiteline tries to focus on dynamic alignment figures rather than absolute static numbers. A good example is the ALK, it may only add +0.5 deg caster but the bush and mount design is tailored to minimize dynamic "caster loss". This is a significant issue that is being addressed more and more by the OE engineers and is of particular importance for performance brands like Porsche, Ferrari etc. .....

------------------------------------------------

[The Whiteline anitlift kit was primarily designed to remove the stock anti-lift geometry by relocating the rear of the front lower control arm pivot point down by 19mm. This was its main purpose as we found that the stock geometry promoted power understeer on corner exit.

However, being big positive caster fans, we also threw in some extra sprinkles with an additional +0.5 degree static caster and redesigned the bush to deliver around +1.0 degree dynamic caster by reducing "caster loss". To help understand the importance of this from a chassis design point of view, think of when you're most in need of extra caster, initial turn-in or corner entry. And unfortunately most of the time the car at this point is either decelerating at a coast or under brakes which is when the wheel is trying to bury itself into the back of the guard (resisting body moving forward) deflecting the bushings and loosing caster. (Duncan, thanks for the summary)

15 years ago, performance cars like the Porsche 928, Honda NSX and others would suffer up to -2.5 degree dynamic caster loss which is a worry if you only started with +2.5. We know this because of a paper published by the lead chassis designer of the MacLaren F1 supercar who quoted that this was one of their main targets and goals for the dynamic behaviour.

Interestingly, he also quoted that the ideal solution revolved around a carbon-fibre composite suspension carrier but that was ruled out as being too expensive.... how much did that car retail for?

It's always a compromise.

Hope that helps

Best
Jim

Whiteline Automotive]"

JoeT
03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
A little tidbit of info. Outback rear control arm mounts for the front arms, coupled with energy suspensions will give you pretty close to a full degree more of caster, it'll be much better for dynamic camber. Just an FYI.

LaszloT
03-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm listening JoeT and that's great info.

I might have taken a different path if I had know before I grabbed the used ALK, but I'm committed to this modest upgrade path now and quite happy with the results.

Can't wait for the snow to bug out and get the performance driving season started!