PDA

View Full Version : STI Summer Tire suggestions

Slainte72
05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
2012 STI with OE Dunlop SP 600's (200 wear rating) that are done.
Looking for an extreme/ultra performance summer tire that are comparable or better to OE that can be used mostly street but also 4-6 track events (lapping days/ADS events - TMP, CTMP DDT/GP etc.). Not currently auto-crossing.
Hoping for reasonably good value...

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec are my current favourites (research only, not driven).
Michelin Pilots seem pricey.
Hankook RS3?
Bridgestone Potenza 760?
Toyo :)?

Looking for help on brand/model and West GTA (Burlington) dealers that might offer the best deal.

Thanks all!

elementZ
05-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Yoko AD08Rs or Star Specs are both great tires that can do street and track. I would lean towards those 2.

wparsons
05-05-2015, 05:06 PM
I went with RS3's for my current set because they were almost $400 cheaper than the ZII SS in the same size. I had the original ZII and loved them, but couldn't justify that much more to try the SS. RS3's (225/45/17) were about $800 taxes in and mounted back in the fall from tires23, pricing has likely change due to our dollar though.

Slainte72
05-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks. I am tempted by the RS3's but the more I look, the more everyone seems to use the Michelin Super Sports as the 'standard' - plus I found a local dealer with great prices (for either)...decisions...

mardin
05-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks. I am tempted by the RS3's but the more I look, the more everyone seems to use the Michelin Super Sports as the 'standard' - plus I found a local dealer with great prices (for either)...decisions...

If you daily your car and value comfort, the Michelin Super Sports will still provide best "Ride" and "Noise" Comfort without sacrificing too much performance, in my mind that's what you're paying for.

Ride Comfort: 8.9
Noise Comfort: 8.7

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport under survey tab.

VS. 7.4/7.0 RS3 and 7.5/6.7 Direzza

Slainte72
05-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks all. You've helped me settle on the Michelin's. Worth the extra $...and probably the first of many future sets :)