Thread: Grabbed by your Bearings

Grabbed by your Bearings

How is it that you can use a shop one time and they seem professional enough to go back to, and completely suck and screw up the next job?
    I had removed all four hubs on my car, had them sent in to be sand blasted and painted. Next an un-named garage at this time, was given four hubs and bearings and seals and grease to go inside. Seem pretty simple you think to yourself.
    Well 3 hrs later not one hub is complete because they are still on the first one.
    So by mid morning the next day I receive a call, we have a bearing on it's way we broke one trying to install it. You think to yourself who are these clowns. When you finally get your hubs back and ready to install, the hubs look like you took them to a beach and went swimming with them, yes you guest it, sand blasting sand in my nice new bearings. Next step, call the clowns at the garage and make the complaint, and mention that you wont' be to happy if you have a bearing fail in the next little while.
    3 Km later first bearing goes. They pick up the meager tab of the bearing cost, but kill me in the end with a diagnostic fee of what they found. Might I add they had a head start with what I told them it was. (new seal new bearing) That's two bearings they went through to install four, a 50% success rate.
    1 week later the other rear bearing goes today. So moral of the story.
    If your Subaru blows a bearing in the Port Hope area, drag the sucker behind your back if you have to home. These guys are one of many that we have had problems with in regards to Subaru bearings. Which I might add Subaru made sure they use bearings that take huge amounts of side loading, cause half the time I am side ways so that's good (Right)
    So now I'm looking for a good garage that i will allow to touch my Motec monster.
    please let me know who you guys use. Must be more than a 25% success rate.
    FourStar Motorsports
    Motec
    www.drivex.fi
    www.tommimakinenracing.fi
    Proud of BOXER

Re: Grabbed by your Bearings

Yoshio can do that with both hands tied behind his back. I personally do my own bearings using a bearing press. Takes about 25 minutes / hub if the hub is out of the car. Not that difficult, just remember to take the big circlip out.. LOL

www.japanese-auto.com

Well, the shop that I use is in your signature already. :-) You might want to ask the guys in Peterborough who they use....

http://www.pmsc.on.ca

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Get a OTC Hubtamer 35 min knuckel still on the car hehe
    frome in the door

Its a relitvly straight forward task
    if thay cant do a press in barring on a subaru heck thay cant do one on a honda,hyundia, or all kinds of others!

thay wont be around for to long with techs like that.

What's an OTC hubtamer, I'd love to get one of those.. Where can I find one?

Well sometimes when Dan and Frank are busy, then I get flustered cause I do all my work right down to programming, but not bearings I don't have space to put in a press. So I try something different and it bites me in the ass. Next time I may just wait.
    Thanks guys hope I can make rally cross tomorrow in Augusta
    FourStar Motorsports
    Motec
    www.drivex.fi
    Proud of BOXER

search O T C Tools Hubtamer Eleat

Its the one i have abought $600 - 700 snap on truck can get it. Clames dose all press in barrings fwd/awd

Or come see Caveman Automotive ;-) for a grassroots racing rental deal

Why pay others for what you can do? :-D

http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1736

Wow, I've never seen that before, will have to see it in action. Pretty neat.
    So far there is no play on this bearing that just went but for sure after the rally cross there may be some. I've never been to this one held by MCO, hope it's alright.
    Wont' be running the Anti-Lag cause I don't have a vacuum pump setup for the brakes yet.
    FourStar Motorsports
    Motec
    www.drivex.fi
    Proud of BOXER

It would have been worth getting your own press if you were doing all four corners. Also next time ask ask we have one that you could have used, Nuwan even made a jig to help hold the knuckle.
    Ivano D.

SPDA TREASURER

I did all four corners including new control arms. I was trying to get it ready to race it at MCO rallycross at Augusta Motorsport Park. That way it's tested good for the run back in Bancroft in July.

Race went well anyway I placed 1st in Class 4 so I was happy with the way it all went.
    I found later after the event, the bolts that hold the strut to the hub assembly had come loose in the rear left sometime during the last run. So now I'm really ticked because the shop was the last to touch it when they did the wheel alignment. That was the side they had to redo the bearing on. Clowns!! :banghead:
    FourStar Motorsports
    Motec
    www.drivex.fi
    Proud of BOXER

Finding a good shop is hard and honestly even if they got the rear bolts "tight" it probably would have been enough for street driving but not the abuse you put the car through, and from your other post a torque wrench or specs didnt exist in that shop. My high speed off last year loosened up more then you would think.

If you need help on anything let me know.

BTW Congrats on the placing [insert dancing bannannannanna]
    Ivano D.

SPDA TREASURER