If you go the swap route, it's gone cost you about 5K+. You need to replace

Motor
    Crossmember
    Clutch
    Exhaust
    ECU
    Wiring(that's the hard part)
    Fuel pump
    +what ever need to be replace one you are there....

Fun to drive after....

If you have a DOHC, it's a phase1 block. Phase1 block are the problem, they were a ej22 modified block. The block isn't stable, it will blow up again. How long, no idea... 10K-60K-100K, don't know but it's probably will die after an other 60-70K.

Phase2 block swap, Evan Gablin(on of the Ottawa guys who won Targa few year ago) did it on his Legacy after 2-3 motor rebuild(ya the car has ~400K and still track it as much as he could). He seem to have some good result with that swap. He's the only person I know who has done it. His main problem was the manifold intake, it didn't fit properly. He re-drill the hole for the screw that hold the intake in place.
    Alf

Re: Possible blown head gasket

Thanks for replying guys, this is alot of useful info.

Joe, it is my Legacy and it has 160K on it. The 97 never gave me a problem with overheating, but I guess the Phase1 has caught up to me. Could I get a Phase2 engine and swap the heads with no problem, after planing and replacing with the STI 3 layer head gasket?

Alain, was Evan's motor a DOHC, as I was thinking of doing the same thing, maybe?
    05 LGT Blue Sedan