Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATTS 2 - Time Attack, Mosport DDT

Re: ATTS 2 - Time Attack, Mosport DDT

Too bad my battery died just as the timed runs were starting!!

I'll have it charged up for the Touge and hopefully we'll get some good outside video.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

Well, this is a couple of laps of me driving the 240 and the STi! I welcome any input good or bad about my driving as I was very humbled by the whole experience. I was actually scared for the first few laps!

Anna's "OFF" is also in it at the end

[img width=300]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/APlG1Fepe8c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/APlG1Fepe8c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/img]
    Hi, my nickname is \"Smiley\".

Looking for a New Hyundai or used car? Ask me!

The three most feared words in racing: All Wheel Drive
    [img]http://spda-onlin...

Nice vids

Here is my hotlap:

[yt]BJ_guqnGpFE[/yt]

I have all my practice runs there as well with my 'video' timing. This makes it 2/2 where my timed run was my FTD!

Sorry, not sure how to link youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ_guqnGpFE

Hey, Ujjwal! I liked that line pretty much everywhere. YOu were using the curbs to keep your momentum up which is really important in your car.

Only suggestion that I have for you to shave a few tenths is in the SW kink. Straight line a bit more to the outside right (don't round out the gentle left) and it sounds like you're lifting well before the turn. Accelerate straight to the outside right, JAB the brake to weight transfer forward, then off the brake and dial in your left hand turn. You're losing a couple of tenths by not pushing straight into it, and perhaps some slight apex speed by not having a full weight transfer. Otherwise, looked really good!

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks Steve! I agree with you on the SW kink. I've actually had an 'off' there at a previous track day so I kind of take the safe line through there. I'll force myself to change that - the left foot braking is alien to me but I guess it's a must just like heel and toe to be fast!

On front wheel drive, the left foot tap probably won't benefit you as much as lifting off the gas, tapping the brake with your right foot, get off the brake and start your turn in as you're back on the throttle ASAP. The left foot is more for stable RWD or understeering AWD cars.

nitrowsb wrote:
    Well, this is a couple of laps of me driving the 240 and the STi! I welcome any input good or bad about my driving as I was very humbled by the whole experience. I was actually scared for the first few laps!
    It's hard to comment with the audio because I can't hear exactly what you're doing with the pedals. And on the STi shot, it's hard to get an idea of your right tire position on the track. I'm going to make some suggestions of using curbing for braking which MAY NOT work with your car. Some just get squirelly trying it. You have to judge. My first comments to make you faster would be:

Turn 1: Not using the whole track for turn in. Change to late apex from up on the outer curb because your loaded wheels are on the chewed up crap, but your exit line there is good in the 240SX. Too wide in the STi.

Turn 2: Your turn in point is good, but you could be on the throttle slightly earlier or heavier and track out more. In the STi, you miss the apex by 3 feet.

Turn 3: Don't worry about apexing that inside curb before the downhill. It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is being straight and stable for when you are on the downhill braking with your right tires on the curbing. I find that I usually have to be 2 to 3 feet off the upper curb to get my line right into the braking zone. Else if I apex the upper curb, I then spend the downhill trying to pinch the car right to get over. You had to add an extra input at the upper apex and lift off the throttle to make it turn in instead of accelerating briefly past the apex near the upper curb before braking.

Turn 4 & 5 & 6: Used the curbing! Good line, especially the exit from 5 where you straight line into 7. You were briefly locking up your left front in the braking zone to 4 most of the day. Check it for flat spots and perhaps rotate it to the rear.

Turn 7: Again, brake and start the turn with the left tires up on the outer curbing. Late apex to avoid the chewed up crap you put your loaded tires on. If you do that and clip the back side of the inner curb, you can be full on the throttle about 1 to 2 car lengths earlier.

Turn 8: This area is so chewed up, you have to hunt for braking grip in your car. Being up on the left curbing works for me.

SW Kink and climb to nine: Nice oversteer into this section. But I find that forcing the car right and rounding out the left sweeper costs time without entry benefit for 9. Just straight shoot into turn in point for 9.

Turn 9: Smooth entry line. Sounded like you just lifted, like Ujjwal. A brake tap here gives you extra grip as you go over the peak. You're late on the throttle coming out. Wrong gear, not looking far enough ahead, not late enough of an apex, or not enough comfort with the section of track. You want to hear the throttle as you're going past the apex. In the STi, your line definitely needed a later apex to be on the throttle sooner.

Turn 10: If that was a shift before the right hander, then that was perfect. If on the other hand you were lifting because you couldn't stay full.

Turn 11: I have trouble giving you advice here because I don't feel that I've got this corner right yet. But it seems like you turned in too early and had to lift before apex and couldn't get back on it until well after the exit. I'm working on finding markers to do a late apex "pitch" into the corner so that I can stay on the throttle all the way up. Right now, I'm lifting too and it's pissing me off.

Turn 12 onto front straight: INTERESTING early apex to stay off the chewed up crap, but it compromises your exit speed into the timing beam. Again, late apex from up on the outer curb to come onto that straight. It's really noticeable in the STi as you can't hear the exhaust until you're nearly at the timing beam. You have horsepower and you need a different line than Ujjwal.

All of the good Trung aspects are there such as maximum attack into the braking zones, the throttle balance and the fast hands. Just have to adjust your corner entrances more than anything. I'm sure that you'll find three seconds from that.

I didn't expect that much detail and it all sounds too technical for me. I know I made mistakes in both cars in different sections because both cars were night and day different. The 240 is light and quick and the brakes are crap( I think it cost me at least a second) and the Sti was just brute force and confident. I definitely need more track time!

Thanks Steve!
    Hi, my nickname is \"Smiley\".

Looking for a New Hyundai or used car? Ask me!

The three most feared words in racing: All Wheel Drive
    [img]http://spda-onlin...

Pics of event? Update results?
    Ray
    MadDog Motorsports.ca

NiagaraSynthetics.com - Certified AMSOIL Dealer

Hi All,

The results will be posted shortly, there were a couple of items we needed to get discussed prior to releaseing the results.

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

OK, I'll let it slip for this time Joe.
    Ray
    MadDog Motorsports.ca

NiagaraSynthetics.com - Certified AMSOIL Dealer

atts-online.ca has the results posted.