Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATTS update?

Re: ATTS update?

Photos of all the event and prize winners can be found here.

[img width=300]http://www.spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albuo41/atts_2_004sm.jpg[/img]

[img width=300]http://www.spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albuo41/atts_2_029sm.jpg[/img]

Mel's thought's on the event...
    [img width=300]http://www.spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albuo41/atts_2_034sm.jpg[/img]

And my personal favorite; awesome shirt Paul...
    [img width=400]http://www.spda-online.ca/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/albuo41/atts_2_026sm.jpg[/img]
    Nuwan D
    1991 Rover Mini 1000
    1992 Legacy Turbo Rally Car
    www.grindstonemotorsports.com

Yea I think I got some of you entering by the tent where we were standing I have to go through them and then put them up somewhere.

I like the upcoming track - although have only lapped there and am familiar with the run off areas. Thanks to SPDA and the sponsors for a great time.

Note: adding drain to catch can. (alternatively empty catch can more than once every two years.). Sorry about the smoke Mike!
    QuentinY

That was after driving Ivano's car :-D
    Social Dictator
    Melanie

Ill bring bigger hose next time Q
    It was funny watching you try to drain oil with a 3/16 vac hose though.

Yes Rob- what ever was in that hose tasted mighty fine!
    QuentinY

Darn it! I left the video camera at home on my desk that morning!!! And the GPS logger cable with it! ARGH!

I thought I had run this configuration earlier this spring but I was wrong. I have NEVER run this complete configuration. Last time I ran the outside SE line was 2004 at a Fourstar Motorsports track day before I really learned to drive. So lunchtime rain lapping was a REALLY new experience to find that fastest route through there!

For anyone new to the track, here's the (Nascar-style) track map that I learned from the Ian law Car Control Track School in 2004 or 2005:

DDT Rule #1: If you have any kind of horsepower, late apex onto / off of the top and bottom straights. That crap that the corners are patched with has NO GRIP and you want to be on the throttle as soon as possible. So cut across the patches as soon as you can and spend as few feet as possible on them.

Assuming that the track is dry, and that your Royal Purple oil temperature is up after the Hawk Performance warm up laps to get heat into the brakes and tires:

Turn 1 for horsepower cars: Late apex and don't track out more than 2/3 or else you'll compromise your entry for two. Power through on those Toyo Tires and sacrifice turn 1's exit for turn 2 entry because turn two's exit lasts a lot longer than turn 1. And turn 2 matters more. (Low HP momentum cars, you can track out in one as long as it doesn't compromise your ability to be flat through two.)

Turn 2: Be nearly on the right inside grass for the left turn entry to turn 2b (2a doesn't matter) and turn a bit late for this. If your right tires aren't nearly on the right side grass before turning in, you're going too wide in 1. Goal is to be flat on the throttle past the apex to carry speed to turn 3. Scott @ Can-Alignment's setup had the fresh Talon Tire supplied Toyos sticking as the car settled and stayed flat out from just after turn-in to the braking zone for turn 3.

Turn 3: A tap or a lift to settle the car, and late apex it... inner curb doesn't matter until you're on the downhill. Use the right curb for your braking and turn in for 4.

Turn 4 (left past the clerking / marshal station): Get as close to that inside cone as you dare, then nudge her right and get back flat on the throttle straight through to 7.

Turn 5 right: Hey! No cone! Use that HotBits rally inspired tarmac suspension with the wonderful fast compression dampening and 5mm thick strut walls to absorb the impact without a blink as you cut over that new extension of the right inside curb!

Turn 6 (gentle downhill right): I didn't track out more than half way past turn 5, so I cut the inside of turn six and dove straight for the turn in point of Turn 7 onto the back straight like Bob Varey taught me to do at the BMW Advanced Driving Schools in Turn 8 on the Big Track. The same short cutting and momentum approach concept applies here, and you shouldn't be on the outside curb coming down the hill.

Turn 7: Surprisingly, this divebomb line into 7 has phenomenal braking grip even in that crazy slippery wet lunchtime organizer session! The Toyo's were hauled down by the Performance Friction 97 compound pads from Dan @ FourstarMotorsports on the rotors that JRP supplied to me at their usual amazing price! With the caliper piston venting and knockback springs done by KVR Performance, brake fade hasn't been a concern for years. I just stand on the brakes. as needed Late apex onto the back straight cutting the back side of the inner curb to stay off that chewed up concrete patch. Start slamming through the Marino's Subaru gears with that bulletproof Bully Clutch and use the massive racing torque of that Fourstar Motorsports tune to short shift down the back straight.

Turn 8 right: Silly braking in the wet leaving the back straight, eh? If your suspension can handle it, get your left tires up on the left rumble strip for braking and pitch the car in to the right and get on the gas fast to oversteer slightly and cut the low inside curb as close to the cone as you dare and climb that right hander as quickly as possible. Don't force the car right. Clip the left edge as you straighten the curves and head up for turn 9 left.

Turn 9 left: Follow Ian Law instructor James Mewett (master of the DDT ;-) ) and you learn to get far to the right (Nice new for 2009 paved asphalt extension here!), stay on the throttle with your right foot, give the brake a tap with your left foot to weight transfer forward and (horsepower line) late apex over the newly Mosport lowered inside left curb as close to the cone as you dare. Don't track out more than half-way if you have horsepower, or it will compromise your speed into 10 and consequently all the way up the back straight. Get on the gas flat at the late apex of 9, and don't lift until you're braking for the front straight.

If you're a momentum car, you might not lift after the back straight, or just do a gentle lift (no brake tap) and go geometric apex here and track as far out as you can as long as it doesn't hurt your ability to be flat on the throttle past turn 10 apex and all the way to the front straight. If you have to lift for 10, don't exit that wide in 9.

Turn 10 right: Wave to the marshal from MMS as you clip the new low concrete extension on the HADA Motorsport line that Guillermo showed me with your Hotbits coilover suspension.

Turn 11 right West kink/hump: Tighten your sphincter, look into the Turn 12 braking zone, turn in late, clip the inside and have faith that she'll stick after you crest the hump. Scott @ CanAlignment[dot]com measured my minimal bump steer during the corner balance he did for me, so I knew she wouldn't get squirrelly before she settled into the incline before the braking zone onto the front straight.

Turn 12 right onto the front SPDA ATTS timing straight: Late apex, right wheels up on the concrete curbing, and Subaru second gear power through the timing beam.

And that's been a SPDA-online.ca, in stock at JRP , ATTS lap of the DDT, Driven to Perform by Toyo Tires!

Thank you all for coming! Good night!

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

WOW!
    Ivano D.

SPDA TREASURER

Wow indeed...

Steve's been dipping into the redbull
    Nuwan D
    1991 Rover Mini 1000
    1992 Legacy Turbo Rally Car
    www.grindstonemotorsports.com

http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=17342&page=2
    Rob S
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone have photos of the cars?
    Volvo S70 T5
    Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon (#133 ice racer)