Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

Always wondered what SPDA'ers do to keep gas in the tank.

Me, I work for an engineering firm in Oakville called EPCM Services, we design and sell machinery for mining refineries, as well as our chemical engineering arm called Oneira Corp. that designs specialty chemical and coatings plants. I have a mechanical eng background, so I generally stick the machinery side of things, as well as HVAC and other ventilation designs.

What do you do?

Director of Sales
    Cloud Solutions / virtualization

The leaders in Virtualization technologies. BYOD, PYOC, SRAS, (ask me about these acronyms) We architect, design, and implement solutions that lets you access your data anytime, anywhere, anyplace securely. If you've ever lost your laptop and wondered who's going to get your data, those days are gone!!! Enterprise class solutions scalable to any market.

The other full time job is:
    Daddy to the best 2 little (growing up fast) girls in the whole wide world.

I work for a large construction management firm in Toronto.
    We build stuff

Six Sigma Black Belt, consultant and trainer. I do statistical software instruction and sales as well. I usually work in the beverage plastics industry where I have 25 years of manufacturing, product R&D, and process optimization experience.
    Last edited by STeveD; 04-19-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I'm in Fuels Marketing for Canadian Tire Petroleum, managing retail pricing (street price of gas), Canadian Tire's famous Rewards program (Canadian Tire Money) and our Fleet relationships.

I'm a mechanical Engineer too, but I've worked in Fuels Marketing since I graduated, starting with Shell Canada; designing bulk plants, building gas stations, then managing gas stations, and evenually managing deliveries to them (Supply and Distribution across ON).

Don't forget, Can Tire Petrol buys and sells the stuff.

We don't got no Rac'in gas though. : D
    Last edited by LaszloT; 04-19-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Admin Associate, ScotiaMcLeod
    I work with 2 Wealth Managers, managing peoples moneys. Stocks, bonds, mutual funds, estate planning, tax planning, insurance, etc. We do it all!

I'm also full-time mommy to Max, my little puppy =)
    Social Dictator
    Melanie

Project Manager, Development & Support
    Information Systems
    The Law Society of Upper Canada

The company was founded in 1797 (pre Canadian Confederation in 1867). We govern all Lawyers and Paralegals in Ontario.
    Osgoode Hall building is quite historic (Queen and University). We also allegedly have some ghosts wondering the halls.

However at times I code business systems and use a Business Analyst hat as well.
    -----
    formerly SubLeg05

I work for an engineering/consulting company called Hatch. Its a small group within the company doing custom machine design. Our main business is the mining indusrty, but we also do steel and energy. I bascailly design one off mechanical equipment where an off the shelf solution wont work. Electrical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic, it doesnt matter. I'll do it all.
    -Ammaar Z.
    05 Toyota Celica

Friendly competitors then?

I watch cartoons and play video games for a living.

I am a digital compositor at mercury filmworks currently producing animated tv shows for disney/family network. I have also done artwork for blackberry/iphone games. Before I moved to compositing/post production I was animating for other shows for the same studio.

Being an animator requires me to have a huge toolbag of visual skills, which may or may not include graphic design, drafting, contemporary illustration, fine arts drawing and painting, a little bit of acting and sculpture.

And before someone says it's a cool job, the pay sucks. :P
    Last edited by Sir-knight; 04-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Allen T.
    2007 Impreza 2.5i SE :-D

Doesn't matter, still cool.

Geophysicist - I run four junior mining companies - exploration, financing, etc., Full time job and then some - need more time for the toys
    QuentinY

I'm a personal finance doctor, or as some say, a financial planner My clients are for the most part families and business owners. My team and I put together tax strategies, get the government to pay for their kids education, show them how to pay off their mortgage and debts faster, and manage investments for things like retirement. We also do estate planning (a big deal, especially for blended families). We also look at using things like life and critical illness insurance to protect families should something happen to the main 'breadwinner(s)'. And for higher-net worth people we show them additional places to grow money tax free if they're maxing out RRSP and TFSA contributions.

For businesses, we do everything from corporate tax and investment strategies, to planning for shareholder agreements, to basis stuff like group benefits and group RRSPs.

All this I do by day, but by night, I am Super Dad (not to be confused with Super Dave), coming up with ways to entertain my wonderful 2 year old girl and help my 9 month pregnant wife!
    Last edited by FinanceGuy; 04-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fentin_Fury View Post
    Geophysicist - I run four junior mining companies - exploration, financing, etc., Full time job and then some - need more time for the toys
    I should have Rachel talk to you... She's a P.Geo and could help make more time for toys

Quote Originally Posted by FinanceGuy View Post
    I'm a personal finance doctor, or as some say, a financial planner My clients are for the most part families and business owners. My team and I put together tax strategies, get the government to pay for their kids education, show them how to pay off their mortgage and debts faster, and manage investments for things like retirement. We also do estate planning (a big deal, especially for blended families). We also look at using things like life and critical illness insurance to protect families should something happen to the main 'breadwinner(s)'. And for higher-net worth people we show them additional places to grow money tax free if they're maxing out RRSP and TFSA contributions.

For businesses, we do everything from corporate tax and investment strategies, to planning for shareholder agreements, to basis stuff like group benefits and group RRSPs.

All this I do by day, but by night, I am Super Dad (not to be confused with Super Dave), coming up with ways to entertain my wonderful 2 year old girl and help my 9 month pregnant wife!
    So living up to the FinanceGuy username then

Quote Originally Posted by BryceD View Post
    I should have Rachel talk to you... She's a P.Geo and could help make more time for toys
    :

Send me a resume - I am hiring.

Q
    QuentinY

Was an independent IT consultant specializing in Security and Privacy, now am Security Architect at Metrolinx.

Used to drive my car to work a lot, now I take transit. I miss driving my car...
    Goni.
    \'02 WRX
    2005 Targa Newfoundland 2nd Place Division
    2005 Targa Newfoundland Rookie Team Award Winners

I work in the entertainment/technology industry for a company which specializes in visual display technology for everything from digital 3D movies to virtualization technology for military applications. Currently I am responsible for my companies global quality strategy as it applies to new product development, manufacturing, operations and services. I am a mechanical engineer who formerly worked in the aerospace industry (avionics and power distribution systems) as well as the automotive industry (interior design and manufacturing).
    2002 WRX - The Daily Driver
    2008 CX-9 - The Family Bus
    2009 GT-R - The Toy

Wow. Everyone has really technical And fancy sounding jobs. I spray water on things that are on fire. On my days off from the fire department I do a lot of handyman work for people with too much money mostly in Rosedale and Forrest hill. I also do some teaching at Conestoga College in the firefighter program. When
    Not working at those three jobs, I get to be a stay at home dad.

I'm an ass-tronaut.
    Rob S
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My job????

To make sure you all go fast!
    http://www.can-alignment.com
    http://www.facebook.com/CanAlignment/

SPDA Race and Time-Attack Scrutineer
    CASC-OR Chief Instructor
    SPDA Race Ambassador