Thread: Plasti-dip

Plasti-dip

OK - found this online as a possible alternative to a paint job for the BMW project.
    http://www.dipyourcar.com

Guy spraying whole car
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNY9Dx617N8

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? I'm not suggesting for a moment that it's superior to a real paint job nor would I do this on my daily driver, however the fact that we can spray the cars finish on in the driveway for $300 as opposed to $2K+ for a decent paint job is pretty compelling.

It looks like if we make a mistake - we just peel the stuff off.

Apparently it lasts 8 to 12 months (so one season) and there are lots of colours available.

Thoughts? Experience? Personal horror stories? Please share!
    Jonas Jasinskas
    BMW 328is..........sort of. :-D

I haven't painted a car or anything that big with it but I got 3 cans and painted pretty much anything I could get my hands on in my garage to try it out lol. It looks awesome for like a matte look (I have the black stuff), and as long as you add a few layers of it on whatever you're spraying it will peel right off if you don't like it.

One of the students at the CASC-OR driving clinic had it on his wheels. He said it took 1 can per wheel.

Hmmm - reading online it looks like about 2 gallons to complete a car. With a sprayer, works out to about $300.
    Jonas Jasinskas

There are a few threads on nasioc about this.

Paul
    01 Legacy GT RIP :-(
    04 WRX :-D

Hrmmm... being that it's going on a race car.... how much does it weigh compared to normal paint? I think the convenience to change might make it worth it.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Quote Originally Posted by dubya_rx View Post
    How about vinyl?
    I really don't know much about vinyl application on cars - what are the benefits (similar to above I assume?)
    At the moment, I'm still 50/50 on this or paint. For every success story I find online, I seem to find a disturbing horror story of someone who ruined perfectly good part/wheel/car. I cant tell if it's user error, or if this stuff is tricky.

J
    Jonas Jasinskas

PlastiDip will last up to 6-8 months on your car ... then you have to do it again.
    PlastiDip will NOT ruin the paint on your car. If is thick enough you can just peel it off.

Vinyl will be permanent until you decide to remove it, but it is far more expensive.
    To wrap a complete car it will cost you somewhere from $4000 to $6000. Just to wrap a hood will be somewhere from $400 to $600 - depends on the hood.

You can also buy the wrap for like $1400 and wrap it yourself. It will take you quite some time to complete the job by yourself though.
    I know someone who wrapped their car in the garage ... 2 weeks to complete the project by himself :|.