Thread: Oil Leak - '09 STi

Oil Leak - '09 STi

Changed the oil this weekend and saw an oil accumulation under the driver's side cylinder head, and staining on the underbelly tray, so I've got a slight oil leak. See photos below, with the oil leak circled :

Any thoughts on where this is coming from and how serious it might be?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Well aren't you Mr. Leaky. My guess for that area would be a cam seal. Should be visible if you take the timing belt cover off. This is a large part of what made Ol' Smokey, well, Smokey. Just starting to smell it on Pugsy during hard driving.

How many KM on your car? You'll want to fix this leak while doing your timing belt. My general feeling is if you're doing long, hard lapping sessions at tracks, especially MIR, is that you should be budgeting for no more than half the recommended Timing Belt Interval anyway. The rollers and hydraulic tensioner will fail before the belt will.

On the other hand, if yours is a lease car, just spray the bottom of the motor and the shield with brake cleaner before you return it.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

The leak you have there is from the exhaust AVCS control solenoid. You should have that looked at as it controls the exhaust cam timing.

Dov

Quote Originally Posted by GT42R View Post
    The leak you have there is from the exhaust AVCS control solenoid. You should have that looked at as it controls the exhaust cam timing.

Dov
    Thanks gents. I also have an Engine Check light coming on intermittently, and Trevor checked the code and it for the variable cam actuator.

Is it possible that these issues are related?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by STeveD View Post
    Well aren't you Mr. Leaky. My guess for that area would be a cam seal. Should be visible if you take the timing belt cover off. This is a large part of what made Ol' Smokey, well, Smokey. Just starting to smell it on Pugsy during hard driving.

How many KM on your car? You'll want to fix this leak while doing your timing belt. My general feeling is if you're doing long, hard lapping sessions at tracks, especially MIR, is that you should be budgeting for no more than half the recommended Timing Belt Interval anyway. The rollers and hydraulic tension-er will fail before the belt will.

On the other hand, if yours is a lease car, just spray the bottom of the motor and the shield with brake cleaner before you return it.
    120,000 km and I'm keeping it. : D

Is a cam seal or timing belt replacement a job that I can do myself?
    Last edited by LaszloT; 10-04-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
    Thanks gents. I also have an Engine Check light coming on intermittently, and Trevor checked the code and it for the variable cam actuator.

Is it possible that these issues are related?
    Yes they are.

Hey laz. I can't see the pic but i think gt42r is on the money there. Weve seen a few acuatoras go bad in the shop. One type of fail is oil bypassing. But also electric faults aswell. Next time you have the belly pan off and are in area let me know and ill stop by and ill take a look. Timing belt can be done at home. But with the variable cam sprockets i would not suggest the cam seals. You require a special wrench to hold the cam to tighten it.
    Last edited by Cavemanrjc; 10-05-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemanrjc View Post
    Hey laz. I can't see the pic but i think gt42r is on the money there. Weve seen a few acuatoras go bad in the shop. One type of fail is oil bypassing. But also electric faults aswell. Next time you have the belly pan off and are in area let me know and ill stop by and ill take a look. Timing belt can be done at home. But with the variable cam sprockets i would not suggest the cam seals. You require a special wrench to hold the cam to tighten it.
    Thanks Caveman.
    The actuator repair is a shop job from what I hear you guys say, and I'll be in Orillia this weekend if you are free to confirm. I'll pull the belly pan now so it doesn't collect oil and book an appointment with Davenport to have the actuator repaired, likely Thurs next week.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Update

Davenport confirmed, Engine Check code p0024 - oil control valve range performance code, valve is leaking oil. Needs left side oil control valve & gasket ($170).

This was the 1st instance of this issue for my STi model line that Davenport was aware of, although I suspect somehow Subaru compiles maintenance history statistics from their Dealers internationally to support long-term Warranty strategy planning.

Diagnostics was $112, and shop installation is $50 - so it's likely a candidate for installing it myself.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 10-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX