Thread: Help with tuning question

Help with tuning question

Hey everyone, I am fairly nerw to the Subie wrx/sti scene. I have an 03 wrx that has an invidia cat back, a catless downpipe, a turboxs catless uppipe, and I have to replace my turbo cause it's burning oil. I bought an AEM Truboost controller, and a 16g turbo to install. I was just wondering if these mods require an ecu tune for proper functioning and if so, do I need the COBB Accessport or can the ECU be tuned at all without one. Thanks everyone.

Yes, the boost controller and different turbo necessitate a tune.

Neetronics.com in Oakville tunes with an ECUflash software. Ask for Paul Neetling to do the tune. Also ask Paul if he'd recommend a larger fuel pump and injectors for that turbo before you get started.

The Cobb might be helpful though if you plan to switch maps often. Not as necessary as many people think. One safe tune can be a good idea unless you're doing both long track sessions and drag competition.
    Last edited by STeveD; 10-18-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks for the information STeveD, much appreciated.

Have you purchased your 16G yet? I'm assuming too that you have a 2003 2.0L WRX no swap to 2.5L, is that a correct assumption?

Thanks

How many kms on your engine? As mentioned previously for that turbo you should get larger injectors and a higher capacity fuel pump. The least expensive way to tune a mild to moderate modified engine would be with open source such as EcuFlash to flash the map to the ecu and Romraider to modify the maps and to log the engine. A wideband O2 sensor would be advisable as well. For open source you will need a cable. For your car you can use an older ver. 1.2 that you can pick up used or you can go here http://www.tactrix.com/
    There are several shops that can tune with open source so talk to them about their approach to tuning to match the tune you are looking for. Also, keep in mind that if you get tuned for high octane make sure that you have good access to it. Yes the stock ecu will pull back timing but you have to be gentle while driving with lower octane.
    Paul
    01 Legacy GT RIP :-(
    04 WRX :-D