Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy wants to Autocross

New guy wants to Autocross

Hi Guys (and Gals)

I'm a new member here and wanted to try out autocrossing for the first time. I drive a 91 Acura NSX and was wondering where the best place/event for me to start is?

Thanks!

Nice ride! Can't wait to see it. Best place to start: http://spda-online.ca/content.php?13...13-April-27-28

Signups are taken at the Open House:

Sunday April 7th at JRP, 2344 South Sheridan Way, Mississauga, ON.

The Open House will run from 12 noon until 4PM.
    Barry G

You came to the right place, Imran. This auto Club has all you want- and more- in terms of motorsports involvement.

As Barry (SajBT36) mentions above, the CASC-OR Advanced Driving Clinic 2013, April 27-28 is the place to start.

See you there,

Laszlo
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Thanks for the replies! Can I sign up online? I live in Whitby so its a bit of a drive to get down to Mississauga just to register.

Edit: Nevermind I read it and it seems that you can register online. I'm excited to try it out!

Yes as you noted you can register online. Looking forward to meeting you at the event.
    Ivano D.

SPDA TREASURER

So does an event like this comprise of mostly all Subarus, am I going to be the only non Subie there? I don't want to get picked on for having a honda!

All cars are welcome to events like these. From my experience with last year's event, non-subarus included a Corolla, Civic, Jetta, RX8, Golf, lots of Miatas, a couple of M3s, a 1 series and more. See you there!
    Martin Wong
    2009 SSM STI

You may actually see more Miatas there this year than Subarus, and I'll be driving out from Ajax, if that helps.
    #46 STX BRS

It's not a Subaru club any longer, and it's not even the most common marque at any event. Miata's are a great chassis (quick and agile) for Autocross, so you'll see many of them at that type of event.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 03-21-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Great! I'm really looking forward to it. Just bought a set of Dunlop ZII since apparently the Z1 were a great tire for auto-x. Should have them next week.

Great tire choice too, Imran. I'm running those this season too, in 225/45/R17 on all corners.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

I'm sure with those tires and the AWD you stick to the road like crazy glue....

I know this is vehicle/course specific, but what type of speeds are you guys hitting at these events?

Apparently the nsx isn't the greatest auto-x car because it has such a tall 2nd gear and longish chassis, but its not like I'm trying to set any records, just want to have fun

My Tire sizes are 215/40/17 up front and 265/35/18 out back. The very small wheel wells up front prevent the NSX from running anything wider than a 215 without rubbing or possibly hitting the fender itself upon compression. :S

I had a 275 tire out back before but found it to understeer too much so I went to a slightly narrower tire. (I have tracked it twice, once at Shannonville and once at Mosport, but am the furthest thing from talented and will be a complete Amateur at auto-x, likely crushing pylons like they`re cockroaches)
    Last edited by Imran; 03-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.

The NSX is an exceedingly capable auto, Imran.

In terms of go-fast improvements, the Club's guidance has been; 1. Develop driver skills first, then 2. Tires, and after that 3. Everything else.

After tires though, I'm taking my blue '04 WRX to Scott at can-alignment [Club sponsor] to get a performance alignment.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Welcome to the club, speeds at most auto x range in the 60 to 80 range,
    As LW said driver skill upgrades is first, I would say suspension and a good alingment would be second (see Scott at Can-Alingment)
    Then once you have found how to Handel the car with all seasons or uhp summer tires then upgrade to sticky Togo's or yokahama dot track tires. Like the R888. Problem with the sticky tires is they give little warning when there at the edge and then poof around you go.
    Where as the normal type summer tires will "talk" to you, letting you know if you are asking too much out of them.

Looking forward to seeing you out enjoying your ride to its fullest potential

Thanks for all the replies. Although I ordered the Dunlop ZII, I think I am going to go to the event on my current re760's for the first time to get an idea of it all (and wear them out) before throwing on the Dunlops since I can learn on those then move to the Dunlops when my skill level improves (or the current tires wear out, whichever comes first!)

I also see another thread about a noob who wants to try it out, glad I won't be the only one!

You'll have so much fun, being a noob won't enter your thoughts. I ran the Potenza RE760's on my '09 STi and they are a great tire with an excellent reputation. Direzza ZIIs are even stickier, so your plan to run them both is a good one.

I've selected the Direzza ZIIs for my blue '04 WRX, and am excited about pushing it hard soon. The motorsports season is just around the corner.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

yup, you and I can crush the cones together! Lol

Haha Yup, should be fun! I'm super stoked too, but it's still practically a month away lol.

ya, feels like a million miles away! at least the open house is this weekend, its a fair drive coming from whitby but I'm hoping to learn a lot and meet some of the guys!

You're in Whitby? I am too! What a coincidence.