Thread: GoPro Users - Help/advice?

GoPro Users - Help/advice?

Hey all,

Looking forward to another great season and I really want to up my game on capturing video footage of my runs.

I have the original GoPro HD1 cam, and am looking to upgrade to the GoPro 3 black.

The question I have is about sound quality. Every time I attempt footage on the outside of the car the wind noise is just unbearable. Are the external mic solutions anyone has tried? Tricks? Tips?

ALSO - What's your favorite place on the car to mount your cam? Preferred resolutions? Wide/Narrow angles?

Let me know!
    Jonas
    Jonas Jasinskas
    BMW 328is..........sort of. :-D

I think the best place to mount the GoPro is down near the front splitter with a wide angle for an impression of speed. If you want a good view of the track you can mount top centre of the windshield, but I think in autoslalom you're supposed to have a separate tie on the camera, so you'd have to tie it off to the mirror or something.

For audio, try running a higher quality HD camera in the inside of the car.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

The GoPro says to use the Open-Back for under 200mph and the Closed-Back for over 200mph. I use the Closed-Back because the wind noise is way too loud, even at relatively low speeds. With the Closed-Back I use the wind noise is significantly muffled. You can only hear the engine mostly, and mostly when at throttle.

I mount the camera in the front in the intercooler space. See here

I use the wide angle when shooting my clips. Usually 720p at 60fps.

Farshad Sani
    FS Motorsports | Facebook | YouTube

I prefer to install my GoPro inside and show the steering wheel and hopefully the dash. With the GoPro open back and the windows closed the engine noise can be clearly heard without excessive wind noise.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 02-04-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

your best option is to wire a mic to the inside of the car. might not be pretty. but its better than the wind noise you get
    -Ammaar Z.
    05 Toyota Celica

Here`s what it looks like attached to the inside of the main windscreen, which seems to be the best option in my view:

Castrol Track Day wet session:
    http://youtu.be/vgkzqO9Ih-s
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Here is another video - mounted on the top-front windshield (just under the rear-view mirror) pointed slightly down. Wide-angle, open back.
    Engine noise is good enough and not much wind noise since is inside.

http://youtu.be/nd5v_7KDIzM

Some great vids - thanks guys.
    I've added mounting points on the front and rear bumper, as well as the roll cage just behind the drivers right shoulder - we will see how that works.
    Jonas Jasinskas
    BMW 328is..........sort of. :-D