Thread: Hey guys, yes another noob in the house!!

Hey guys, yes another noob in the house!!

Hey guys, I'm sure you all are sick of ansewering noob questions but i'm gonna ask anyway! lol I would like to try out some autox this year and was wondering a couple things, one, do I need to be a part of a car club to compete? if so, how can i join spda? two, can I just show up at the event on the morning of and compete or do I have to pre register?

Thanks in advance!
    Mark

Driving a 2004 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0

Welcome aboard Quattrodude,

The CASC-OR driving clinic would be an awesome introduction to Autocross, and it goes on sale at the Open House on April 7th. http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=27105

As for joining a club, it's not necessary if you're just trying it out. You can show up and arrive and drive, if you want to get scored for the series, you'd need to be part of the club and register for the series. Again, all those can be done at the open house.

To join SPDA, it's as easy as going to the main page of this site, and click on the link on the left titled "Membership".

http://spda-online.ca/content.php?7-membership

Hope this helps.

You'll get addicted, just like the rest of us.

thanks this does help, I do plan on going to the open house but there is a possibility I might not be able to make it!

Is a helmet required? For all classes?

During competition, yes.

For the CASC-OR Driving Clinic, no, but it's recommended.

Well in that case I guess thats gonna be my first purchase! Is there anything special I need to look for when buying one? A specific rating of sorts? Would a motorcycle helmet be acceptable?

Thanks for the info and patience!
    Mark

Sorry, one other thing! Is the course layout the same at all events? Is it possible to get a diagram of the layout(s)? Or is that considered cheating? I've been watching a lot of autox videos and I'm amazed that people know where they're going, it looks very confusing to follow the pylons! I can see event organizers charging me for damaged pylons! lol

That's the fun part of AutoX, the course is different all the time. We have certain rules that we must obey, but other than that, consider the course a canvas which the designers use for creative layouts. The school will be the quickest way to having fun, with very little frustration.

You should actually take the school, we'll go through all the nuances of how things work and how to identify where to go and how you can do things fast and safe. As for helmets, they will be on sale for us at JRP during the open house, and as a member here you get discount pricing on everything (must have your membership card). If you're buying a helmet now, consider getting the latest SNELL rating.

Hope to see you out there.
    Last edited by Navigator; 04-03-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: correction

If I remember correctly Snell m2005 is the min helmet spec.
    As long as its not just DOT approved your good.
    If you have roll over protection in the car then Snell sa2005 would be required.

And the best way to get the basic feel would be at the school.

for getting lost in the sea of cones goes, we do a course walk and normally get a map to study at registration the day of the event.

But even the most seasoned veterans get lost and go off course on occasion.

Joe I don't know if ill be able to make the open house, could you grab me a rule book for both auto x and ota please.

Thx very much for the info! I wil be attending the open house and i picked up a helmet that has a dot and snell rating, not sure of the year tho! scored it for $20! I am very excited and not sure I can wait till the first event! lol