Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is 48 Offset Right for 225/45/R17 Tires on an '04 WRX?

Is 48 Offset Right for 225/45/R17 Tires on an '04 WRX?

This is the '04 STi OEM tire size, so I suspect they should fit in the WRX wheel wells.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

I don't have an STI but I'm pretty sure you will be fine. Stock Subaru offsets look like they run anywhere from +55 to +50 I wouldn't worry about it.
    Paul Figueiredo - TRAKRAVN - 2015 Scion FRS

It depends on the width of the wheel. Stock WRX Wheels are 6.5" wide with 52 offset, if you go 7" wide, then you'll need 50 or 48 offset, if you go 8" wide / 45 offset, 9" wide/ 42 offset.

See how that works?

Wheel is 17 x 7" Mr. JoeT, with a 48 Offset, so it looks like it's going to work. I was going to put Direzza ZIIs on them.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

I wouldn't order until you get a quote from Andrew at JRP on some other options.

My somewhat economical preference is: http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/RPF1.pdf

Joe's an XXR fan I think.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Nah, I'm not a fan of XXR's, I'm a fan of not crying if I bend the wheel, plus not many manufacturers make a 17X9 in 5X100. For 400 bucks delivered to CBI for all 4 wheels, it's cheap. For daily driver and occasional competition, 400 bucks is the price of one Enkei.. LOL

I like the Enkei brand, and I like their EKM3 design too, so I'll ask Andrew at JRP about these items (shown below) when I'm at the Open House.

Do the gunmetal or silver color look better on this auto?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaszloT; 04-04-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Prompt for preference.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    See how that works?
    And yes, I see how that works. The offset centers the wider tire within the wheel well to optimize clearance.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Silver. I don't like dark wheels, so I'd say no to a gun metal. I was okay with my set because the lip was polished. Brightened it up a lot.

Meanwhile, I say yes to gunmetal since it hides brake dust between cleanings.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorH View Post
    Meanwhile, I say yes to gunmetal since it hides brake dust between cleanings.
    Yeah.. Whatever Trevor says.. LOL

Might as well buy a beige Corolla or Silver Camry so it never has to be washed.

My job is to get them dirty. I don't spend much time washing them. Ha ha.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

+1 to RPF1, my dream set are 17"s once I get through all this 18" rubber. Can't beat a ~17lb rim
    Martin Wong
    2009 SSM STI

Two seasons is what I got from my '09 STi summer performance radials with the occasional track involvement, so you're likely due for tires soon.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

No no no no no.

Has to be flat black. With red lug nuts. Yo.

Personally, I'd go a bit wider with the wheel if you're going to the trouble of buying new ones anyway.
    Barry G

Barry,

If you're going to go with "red" lugnuts, I'd go with the "Ken Block" green wheels.

Yes, I agree with you, it's all about GIRTH. 8" wide or 8.5" wide rims for 225 size tires. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes in handling and tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by SajBT36 View Post
    Personally, I'd go a bit wider with the wheel if you're going to the trouble of buying new ones anyway.
    Wider like 235/40/R17 on an Enkei 7.5 or 8 in rim? Does such an animal exist in this EKM3 wheel?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    Nah, I'm not a fan of XXR's, I'm a fan of not crying if I bend the wheel, plus not many manufacturers make a 17X9 in 5X100. For 400 bucks delivered to CBI for all 4 wheels, it's cheap. For daily driver and occasional competition, 400 bucks is the price of one Enkei.. LOL
    Speaking of bent wheels, is there anywhere locally that straightens bend wheels?
    Paul Figueiredo - TRAKRAVN - 2015 Scion FRS

Laszlo,

When we say Width, we mean Width of Wheel. Putting 235 on 7.5 SUCKS too much sidewall flex. Putting 235 on 9 inch wide wheels is amazing in terms of feel and grip.

So, if you're going to buy Rims, buy the widest rim available in what you're looking for.

Paul,

Precision Rim Repair on Rivalda Road does a good job.