Thread: '04 WRX Transmission AND Differential Servicing

'04 WRX Transmission AND Differential Servicing

I've got a bit of road noise at 100kph after a wheel bearing was replaced even with my new performance tires. Caveman put an auto stethoscope on the bearings and it wasn't that, so we decided to schedule a transmission and differential servicing.

So I dug out the maintenance documentation for my Rex from the previous owner, and the following work that was done at Mr. Lube :

-----------------------------------
    155,000 km
    Front Differential SVC $70
    Mobilube 80W90 LS GL5 60L
    plus
    R.R. Gear-Rite Syn Treat. $12

170,547 km
    Rear Diff Synthetic SVC $100
    Pennzoil SYN GLS 75W90
    plus
    R.R. Gear-Rite Syn Treat. $12

184,948 km
    Transaxle/Final Drive PKG $100

200,170 km
    Differential LS Additive $20
    Differential LS Additive $20
    -------------------------------------

Although it's fair to assume that Mr. Lube has reasonably competent folks working for them, I'm not sure that all this work was required and I doubt that I'd have them do it even if it was.

However, since I'm on the verge of getting Caveman to do a tranny and differential servicing, does this maintenance history change the priority of the work we are about to undertake?
    Last edited by LaszloT; 06-10-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add image.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

With my old RS, i like changing the fluid every couple years max or about 20k kms or so (as you see i don't drive much).

I should change my fluids in my 11wrx now.... about 25k kms... and change the transmission and rear diff.

pretty simple job overall on the 5spd and rear diffs.

old car, i had the the "mix" / joe told me about it. part redline (1quart and rest amsoil). and rear used amsoil.