Thread: Nearly Bled Out the WRX with an Oil Change Gone Wrong

Nearly Bled Out the WRX with an Oil Change Gone Wrong

Installed the new filter. When I started it up to check for leaks, it was gushing oil. Yikes. I got a lovely 4 x 4 ft puddle of oil on the garage floor out of it though.

Turns out I installed it on top of the old oil filter gasket which had stuck to the block. Caveman says it's not a filter quality issue, so I'll chalk it up to a novice mistake this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Hasn't happened to me yet... Did you coat the gasket in clean oil or grease before install?

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

The new one yes, but the gasket against gasket seal won't hold oil pressure. Had to shut it down, pull the filter off, remove the old filter gasket and reassemble.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

No, it shouldn't hold pressure with two seals. Just remember to always wipe the filter mating surface of road contamination and oil before putting the new filter on in the future and you'll notice a retained seal.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I've heard of it happening... never had it happen to me, but when i do my change since I don't jack the car up, just back it up the slope of my driveway and level the front to create space underneath... I can't always get under to visually check the mating surface... but I always check the old filter to see if the gasket is still there or not.
    Allen T.
    2007 Impreza 2.5i SE :-D

The great thing about working on your own car is that you learn things. And it usually involves a mess! And money. At least this was just a few litres of oil. Happy 2014!
    Frank - I drive a Nissan

This happened to my neighbor. He drives down the street and 4 litres of oil comes out.

Take it as lesson learned. No real damage done

Good perspective, Robin. Yes, I'll watch more carefully next time.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

It happens far more often then you realize, that's why they sell speedy dry in large bags! ;-)

our street had a nice stain for the summer! it was his lesson learned!