Thread: Whiteline 22 mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar et all for an '04 WRX

Cool Whiteline 22 mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar et all for an '04 WRX

Picked up a copy of the Subaru Performance Handbook, and with it going to be putting a little precision into the handling of the WRX going forward, as follows:

1. Whiteline 22 mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar, and
    2. Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit.

Part of the "Performance Fundamentals" approach to improvements I want for the Rex.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaszloT; 11-29-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Update image
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Glad to see the modding spirit is still going strong during winter, keep up the good work!
    Martin Wong
    2009 SSM STI

Touge Tuning says for the ES master bushing kit, the lateral links and front control arms bushings should be done at a shop. Also the shift stabilize isn't too bad but can take time if doing it on stands.

I'm going to try to do the rest myself.

It's winter now, so this will need to be my spring project. I'd take do the bushings in stages and pace myself, but will likely need a performance alignment again when they are all installed, so will have to keep this in mind with the bushing replacement planning.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

The 22mm is the largest I'd go with your spring rates, and the Whitelines have good tuning ability. Bushings... be ready for a bit more NVH.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

After bushings, rule of thumb is: Fix handling with spring rates and dampening rates FIRST, Alignment 2nd, Sway Bar 3rd, Tire Pressures 4th.

In my Legacy I've gone back to the stock 12mm rear sway, the car is flat around corners, does not lift a wheel and oversteers on command (if required).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    After bushings, rule of thumb is: Fix handling with spring rates and dampening rates FIRST, Alignment 2nd, Sway Bar 3rd, Tire Pressures 4th.
    So much wisdom in this auto Club, with you 2 powerhouse intellects. How come you didn't tell me before that my upgrade path for handling should be:

1. Bushings,
    2. Spring and dampers,
    3. Performance alignment,
    4. Anti-sway bars, and
    5. Tire pressures.

Partly because of limited budget, I'm deferring springs/dampers and a front anti-sway bar. However, I was planning to go with a 22 mm anti-sway bar for the front as well, and I wasn't going to go too stiff on the springs/dampers either because it still will be a DD.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
    How come you didn't tell me before that my upgrade path for handling should be
    I'm sure we discussed this at pub night... or in some other thread where I recall Daniel preferring sways first... You did have the thread posted first where you wanted to do Swift Spec R and Dampers, so you were on the right track.

The point of what to do first is a bit moot, as almost everyone is more budget driven at first. Sways are the cheapest way to go and that's how most of us go at first. It's only after you do your first big spring/dampener changes that you appreciate how much more effective they are at keeping the car planted.

Your choice to go to bushings "early" is a bit uncommon, but a good choice for a high mileage WRX. If every suspension connection point yields, then the effects of a stiffer bar or suspension is reduced. Communication from the chassis gives confidence to the driver which also makes you faster. It's a good choice.

Have you already done upgraded sway bar endlinks? On Pugsy, I'm running stock sway bars with Whiteline endlinks and Group N bushings. The rear plastic C-shaped end links are usually changed at the same time as bushing/bar.

Figure out which bushings you'll be missing from the Energy kit, and you can consider supplementing with Group N from Rallispec or Fourstar. Very handy bushing diagrams on this page: http://www.rallispec.com/mou_bush_rstbk1.html

Fourstar also stocks Powerflex, has some Group N on occasion, and stock bushings. No sense in putting a part back in with bushings only changed on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by STeveD View Post
    Have you already done upgraded sway bar endlinks? On Pugsy, I'm running stock sway bars with Whiteline endlinks and Group N bushings. The rear plastic C-shaped end links are usually changed at the same time as bushing/bar.
    SteveD,

That question was a bit rhetorical, as larger anti-sway bars are the earliest typical handling upgrade and have loads of performance value. Upgraded endlinks were suggested by the shop too but they aren't in my budget for now, as it may take a while to get all these bushings installed.

After these items, alignment would be next, then a 22 mm front adj. anti-sway bar and then springs & dampers. I still like the Swift Spec-R items. Somewhere in that plan I'll also snag some endlinks.

And I'm sure that you already know, "It's a journey, not a destination". Ha ha.

And should I put this "Anti-Lift Kit Sport - 2002-2007 Subaru WRX" on the priority list somewhere?
    Last edited by LaszloT; 12-10-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Add image
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

IMNSHO... upgrading your rear endlinks is more important than the front sway bar to make your rear bar work properly. I think you should already have stock metal endlinks on the front. On the GD chassis... leave the front sway bar until absolute last. Stiff bars with soft springs aren't ideal.

ALK is nice but that Energy kit should already include the front control arm rear bushings that the ALK replaces, so don't bother doing both.

Quote Originally Posted by STeveD View Post
    upgrading your rear endlinks is more important than the front sway bar to make your rear bar work properly. & ALK is nice but that Energy kit should already include the front control arm rear bushings that the ALK replaces, so don't bother doing both.
    Great suggestions. I'll make it so. [Jean-Luc Picard]
    Last edited by LaszloT; 12-10-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Star Trek TNG ref.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Asked Caveman to install the anti-sway bar and the bushings at his shop. Went smoothly because he's a Pro, aside from not having the specialty press attachments to get the bushings out and the new ones in. Even Parry's Auto machine shop needed to heat the old bushings out. New ES bushings are red in color.

Pictures (in order):

1. Rear anti-sway bar,
    2. Front OEM anti-sway bar bushing,
    3. Front control arm bushings, and
    4. Rear trailing link bushings.

Apparently now I need to maintain them annually to keep them from making noise, but first I need to get to Can-Alignment to confirm the alignment is still good with the new gear installed.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 01-03-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Red
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX