Thread: Esso is Introducing 93 Octane Premium Petrol, Starting in Newmarket

Esso is Introducing 93 Octane Premium Petrol, Starting in Newmarket

Gents,
    Looks like Esso is getting in on the Octane bandwagon with a 93 octane blend.

Street price was 130.9 cpl, and offsets above street price for other grades are 10 cpl (Extra) and 16 cpl (Supreme) and 19 cpl for Supreme+. Petro Canada was asking 18 cpl above the street price for their Ultra 94 the last time I bought it.

This was at Mulock Esso today, and the operator says it was the first in Canada. I also heard today from car Club mates that Major Mac & Jane Esso are also offering this 93 octane blend.

Operator tells me that all blends are ethanol-based now, just like Petro Canada, as opposed to the predominant industry approach of E10 for Regular, E0 for Premium and E5 for Midgrade (blended).

By the way, ethanol- and octane- is great for performance engines.

I thought you’d like to know,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaszloT; 03-12-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ethanol is great for performance engines
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

As much as I didnt like Esso in the past, I may see if the one by the house carries it so I can try it out.
    Ivano D.

SPDA TREASURER

I noticed this ~ a month back, had to do the double take. Ultra 94 use to be the only option for the summer toy. Nice to have additional option's, will have to give it a try.
    98 Eclipse GSX

my car's rated for 93, i used petrocan's but didn't like it and went back to Shell (what i always used for all my cars) and just used their 91.

I gave the Esso a try right when it popped up and i like it, could be placeebo but the car runs smoother (as it should, since its designed for higher octane) but somehow different than the petrocan.

meh

Esso's 93 and Petro's Ultra 94 are track-day fuels only for me. They are too expensive for day-to-day (18 & 19 cpl above the street price) and both are ethanol blended fuels. Shell's V-power is 91 octane, but it has no ethanol in it.

My '09 STi's fuel requirement was 93 octane recommended, but could operate on 91.

You just want a extra margin of safety when you're pushing it hard at the track.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

I tune my car on 94 (& meth injection) & I've basically maxed the tune to that fuel, but I've been curious how the car would run on Shell 91. Maybe I'll finally give it a try this summer, as well as the Esso 93 but it sounds like their isn't any savings in running it vs 94.
    98 Eclipse GSX

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    my car's rated for 93, i used petrocan's but didn't like it and went back to Shell (what i always used for all my cars) and just used their 91.

I gave the Esso a try right when it popped up and i like it, could be placeebo but the car runs smoother (as it should, since its designed for higher octane) but somehow different than the petrocan.

meh
    I find mine seems to pull out of the torque dip sooner and harder on petro 94 than shell 91, but I haven't logged it to see if it's all in my head or not. I typically only run 94 when I know I'll be beating on it a lot, I get noticeably better mileage on shell 91.

I have to finish rescaling my MAF and flash that tune before I start looking at any knock on 91, when I get to that I'll try to get comparable logs between 91 and 94 to see if/where it makes more power and where it might be knocking.