Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's STI Time

It's STI Time

Hi Gents!

Sorry for the long disappearance, I had to step away from racing and forums for a while.

But I'm back and looking for a new car... so I've decided on an STI. Yes, the Tribute will be replaced with a Subaru. I'm not going to be a Mazda girl any more!

So the main question is... do I get a 2014, or wait for the 2015. Thoughts?

Have plans to keep the car stock, no mods at all.

Thanks!
    Social Dictator
    Melanie

2015 for sure. Better chassis and the same great engine we know and love in the 2014.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

That's what I thought, but I don't think I can wait that long The Tribute is pretty much pooched right now, so I'm kinda in the market yesterday for a new car. I'm sure the 2014's are fine, for my purposes *sigh*

IMHO, get a WRX instead. I've had both. The difference is minimal. The WRX have the 6 spd now, and they're just as fast in a straight line as the STI. The ride is nicer, and in the winter, when the roads are heaved, you'll appreciate it. The WRX is also way better on gas than the STI. Get a mild/safe tune on the WRX, to wake it up. Then, spend some of the savings on nice, wide rims and better rubber.

I've driven both back to back. There's nothing on an STI that's worth the extra money. Yes, the brakes are bigger, but they're terrible. If you try lapping in an STI, the first thing you'll need to do is replace the pads and rotors anyway, because they suck. They will overheat, guaranteed. The STI is only ~150 lbs heavier, but it feels much heavier.

Obviously, the decision is up to you. But, drive both. If you can't get a test drive from a dealer, let me know. Someone from the Subaru club will let you go for a quick spin, for sure.

GL.
    Geoff, The Mortgage Dude
    GChislett@tmacc.com
    1-877-366-3487

2015wrx are coming out very soon if you want to go that route. with the redesign, 2015wrx is now even cheaper too. it starts at just undre $30k vs 2014's are $32500.

Also, all 2015 wrx/sti are sedan only. if you want a hatch, 2014's are last year for them.

personally, i'd choose the 2015wrx over any sti.

The 2015 WRX motor alone is worth a really good think, especially for primarily street.

PS: really nice to have you back, Mel!

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

+1
    Everything about the '15 WRX is awesome, aside from it needs the STi rear wing.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Things to think about:
    WRX: Yes Direct Injection is great (look at the BRZ) high compression high torque at low rpm but it's a 1st year engine.
    6 Speed in the WRX is out of the TY75 Tranny, just with an extra gear, it is in no way as strong as the STI gearbox.
    Timing Chains are not the best for motorsports, but really good (if you change your oil often and religiously) for street. Chains stretch unproportionally, meaning a link or series of links can stretch and not others, which makes it hard to control cam timing. (yup, this is reality). But for the street, it's low maintenance and no worries, unless you wear out the chain guides.

STI:
    2.5L engine, yes it's the older engine, but it's proven with lots of good history. When running a car "Stock" there is no problem with this engine, unless you bang it off redline all the time.
    Timing belts is safer for motorsports use, they are more uniform and have very low failure rate, very low friction as well.
    2.5Litre Engine is mature, not a 1st year engine, with tons of aftermarket support and all the known issues have been identified and there is an abundance of aftermarket support.
    Chassis is the same as the WRX, but spring rates are different so are other components, like spherical bearing front control arms for more direct input and control.
    The 6 Speed Tranny can take whatever abuse you can give it, if SteveD has not broken it yet, it will not break.
    Brakes, we all know the first thing to change is the brake pads for motorsports use, I personally use Stoptech brake pads and they are ok for light track duty. There is also less flex on the front hub on the WRX's, necessitated by the use of solid mounted calipers. The front end of the WRX still uses floating rotors.
    There's more to it than meets the eye, at the end of the day, you'll need to give me a call so we can get you a deal on your car, plus you can take advantage of the CARS 750 cash back if that still exists, since you've been a member for a long time.

for the control arms, subaru added the same control arms as the STI onto the wrx.

see PR from SOA:
    http://media.subaru.com/newsrelease....rmance&mid=153

the aluminum alloy lower control arms use pillow ball-type joint bushings and pillow ball-type joint mounts.

this was a prob on the 11-14wrx for sure.... and one reason i upgraded mine. 11-14wrx struts are pure junk....

They improved it for sure..

more info on the wrx:

A much stiffer chassis than in the previous WRX pays dividends in sporty handling. The springs, dampers, crossmembers, subframe bushings, and front control-arm bushings and attachments are all stiffer. The front suspension struts feature thicker outer tubes, and the aluminum alloy lower control arms use pillow ball-type joint bushings and pillow ball-type joint mounts. Likewise, the rear suspension lateral links also use this type of bushing. Torsional rigidity is increased 41 percent compared to the previous WRX. The front stabilizer bar thickness is increased by 3 mm. Front spring rates were increased by 39 percent, and rear spring rates increased by 62 percent.

The rebate is great!

All really great points!

Joe: I'll give you a call tonight

I have to admit, I am torn between the STI and the WRX, but the STI just looks prettier with the red interior and big wing. It would have to be the Sport package for the wing, since the base model, sadly, doesn't come with it. Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    The 6 Speed Tranny can take whatever abuse you can give it, if SteveD has not broken it yet, it will not break.
    So harsh. Such envy too. Is this because STeveD has 500+ at the wheels, when he once claimed that 300 Hp at the crank ought to be enough?
    Last edited by LaszloT; 03-13-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: envy
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post

STI:
    2.5L engine, yes it's the older engine, but it's proven with lots of good history. When running a car "Stock" there is no problem with this engine, unless you bang it off redline all the time.

Really? You'd pick the "reliability" of the STI engine as a selling point? really? There's lots of good history, but arguably, there's equally as much really bad history. Just as many stock motors blew up as modified. Tuning was not the problem.
    Geoff, The Mortgage Dude
    GChislett@tmacc.com
    1-877-366-3487

Geoff,
    I've put this article up before, but it says the issues with the EJ257 engine are a combination of the factory tune and the hypereutectic pistons being sensitive to detonation.

The Truth Behind The Subaru EJ-Series Engines - Tech-Knowledge
    http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...s_engine_tech/
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Geoff,

STock for Stock, there is nothing wrong with the STI engine, BTW, I've had a 2011 STI since it was new.

If you bang the car off the rev limiter, it will crack a ring land, but these are things that can be avoided. Just like anything, abuse it and expect it to get broken. My toy car I "Expect" to break since I abuse it, the daily driver (STI) has been worry free fun hauler for over 3 years.

Geoff,

Thanks for quoting me, as you can see, even in the quote you provided (of me), there is no mention of the word Reliability, the statement implies that it's a "Known" entity. Unlike the FA Engines, which are new, no one knew that there would be Injector Pump problems, Fueling problems, ECU Problems, etc. since it's a "Year 1" engine when it was introduced. For Melanie's case, she wants it as a daily driver, and for that, there is nothing wrong with getting what "SHE" wants. She still has a Supercharged Miata for her spirited driving requirements.

Since you're a "Numbers Guy": http://www.subaru.com/company/news/

Excerpt from the article above:
    Currently, Subaru is the only automotive brand with five consecutive years of sales increases and total sales in 2013 reached 424,683 vehicles.
    Out of 424683 Vehicles, I'm sure you'll agree that the majority aka 80% used the EJ25 Block, which all used Hypereutectic pistons.

Now, take a look at all the complaints around the blown ring land since 2008, and compare all the complaints against the total sales in the USA just for 1 year (let alone all 6 years), and you'll find that there is less than .01 of 1 percent failure of ring lands. The majority of those were STI owners, and the odd 1 was a Legacy owner. There were NO ring land failures recorded on Outback Turbo's. Do you think this starts to paint a picture of reality.

Now take that failure rate and equate it to percentages against the entire sales numbers of Subaru EJ25 Equipped cars, and the picture drastically changes. I'm sure you can research as much as I can to get those figures, starting with the article posted here.

Further drill down into the failures, and identify how many failures were a result of motorsports usage and the picture gets clearer.

No wonder Subaru denies warranty, the stats don't support it. If the failure rate were that high, there would be a major recall on all Subaru's using EJ25 Blocks using hypereutectic pistons.

Hope this helps clarify.

Bottom line, don't let the silly few spoil it for the majority.

Joe, you replied to me.... So sorry, I'm totally clueless, I didn't realize those figures.
    Geoff, The Mortgage Dude
    GChislett@tmacc.com
    1-877-366-3487

So Joe kinda spilled the beans.... yes, I've decided on the STI
    It will be my daily driver, getting me to and from work and picking up groceries, just that little bit quicker!
    No mods, except some mud flaps.
    She'll be spiritedly driven, but not abused. Won't even be raced, except maybe the odd lapping day.
    So now the wait.... Have I ever mentioned that I HATE waiting?!

Congrats Mel!!

Congrats, Mel! May I offer you your first welcome to TORQUE!!!

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks guys!! Can't wait!!! It'll be different going back to a stick shift as a DD, since it's been 6 years in the Tribute, but I'm definitely looking forward to it!
    Social Dictator
    Melanie