Thread: Adjustable AGX shock equivalent? (AGX no longer available for my car)

Adjustable AGX shock equivalent? (AGX no longer available for my car)

Hey gang,

Any recommendations on an adjustable shock to replace blown AGXs?
    Thanks,
    Tashko.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

the adjustability on the AGXs is borderline useless (I had a set on the VW),

after a healthy amount of research, the reality is that unless you're prepared to get into the 2000-starting price territory, there is little point in looking for adjustable units. (also there is a difference between having single adjustability (ie, rebound, near useless for our applications), double adjustability or 4-way adjustable.

I'd recommend a Bilstein Sport (if you're on lowered springs) or Bilstein HD if you're on OEM springs and don't get too caught up in adjustability. These are, in my opinion, the best off-the-shelf solution for any car.

everything else is meh.
    Last edited by Serge; 04-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Serge,
    Where do you get these Bilstein HDs?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Thanks for the suggestion Serge. Unfortunately, looks like Bilstein are not available for my '96 Leggy wagon. It does have whiteline lowering springs so I'm looking for non-oe spring replacement shocks.

While the adjustability is questionable, particularly the number of "positions" low cost units have, they do work from brute soft/hard difference.

Doesn't appear to be much selection out there. I don't care about adjustable.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
    Serge,
    Where do you get these Bilstein HDs?
    Well, JRP can order them up for me, they ahve been very recently releasesd for the Scion/Subaru but their "code name" is "b8", as opposed to the "b6" which is the "sport"

sometimes they are not even called "HD" and for some cars you may not even know they exist unless you ask Bilstein.... the main difference is the shaft lengths.

I have a set of Whiteline GD coilovers I'll let go cheap. RR needs a rebuild for a fresh seal. Peter Reilly did it for me last time.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I just picked up a set of KYB GR-2/Excel-G non-adjustable shocks to install this weekend. Unfortunately, the Dragon Wagon has no budget, thankfully it's fun to drive as is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tashko; 05-01-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--