Thread: Cameras.. lap timers?

Cameras.. lap timers?

Ok as you know I am complete newb..
    Seeing a lot of guys running cameras, can any one recommend a good setup for a beginner without oodles of cash? Same applies to lap timers.. are there apps or devices (even cameras) that can do the timing as well?

Also... shopping for rpf1's and R1R's.. can't figure out the tire deal for the life of me.. help..?
    2013 WRB BRZ

I have a GoPro Hero3 Black (which has since been replaced by the Hero3+ Black), and typically mount it to my rear window with the suction cup mount. The suction cup is about $50, and the camera is about $450 IIRC. You can look for deals on used ones, or go for a lower spec (silver or white) if you need to trim the budget.

From what I've read, the Aim SOLO is a good value for a lap timer, if you really want to improve you're better off with the DL (data logging) model which will plug into the OBDII port and log all your inputs. That way you can analyze what you're doing with the gas, brake, steering, etc compared to where you are on the map (via GPS). Both versions will do lap times without a transponder or beacon.

There was a discussion earlier this year on the CASC forum about alternatives to GoPros and the WASP came up. Canadian company selling updated copies of a previous GoPro design (there are a few companies selling almost identical devices). Not quite the latest GoPro, but not the price, either. Reviews are pretty good. Uses an easily found standard size battery pack, in case you want spares. Don't forget to buy a suction cup mount. Here's a listing from a Toronto Subaru Club sponsor: http://www.garage16.ca/SearchResults.asp?Search=Wasp

Edit: WASP also available at Sail.
    Last edited by GaryW; 06-04-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Gary W.

I forgot before... check out Harry's Lap Timer app, it apparently works very well, but you need a SECURE mount for your phone or the data is useless. You'll want an external GPS antenna for your phone as well, the built in one isn't strong or fast enough for reliable data.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    I forgot before... check out Harry's Lap Timer app, it apparently works very well, but you need a SECURE mount for your phone or the data is useless. You'll want an external GPS antenna for your phone as well, the built in one isn't strong or fast enough for reliable data.
    The description of Harry's Lap Timer looks amazing.

And as for mounting your phone solidly enough that it won't giggle and give false readings Velcro works great. If you can get a phone case that is smooth enough on the back to have stick on Velcro strips stick to it. Then you can make a solid bracket out of a piece of aluminum bent at the right ange. I used two 1/8x5/8 aluminum strips. Velcro or double sided adhesive can hold the mount to the dash or windshield. And the velcro strips can hold the phone to the mount. That way you can easily rip the phone off the mount and stick it back on during the day. I tried it at the May 24 lapping day and got amazing footage. My old GTECH pro used Velcro to hold itself onto the suction cup mount and it wasn't the best. But when you got it suck on right it was solid enough to get good readings. Using two long strips of Velcro on either side of my phone case gave it a much more solid mount than the old GTECH ever had.
    Last edited by 7plymaple; 06-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Simon

i've been using trackmaster with a 10Hz bluetooth GPS. i have been happy with it.
    -Ammaar Z.
    05 Toyota Celica