Thread: Aftermarket open ended lugs and winter driving?

Aftermarket open ended lugs and winter driving?

Looking at upgrading my stock studs and will likely need open ended lugs because the ARP studs are much longer, is there anything to be concerned about winter driving with open lugs? my gut says no since lots of cars come stock with open lugs, but figured it was worth asking since the lugs I get won't be the little steel factory nuts.

If the nuts are long enough that the stud is not sticking out of the nut it is better. I have found the anti seize stays in the threads that are engaged all winter. But my studs stick out of the lugs. So when I swap back to summer tires the anti seize has usually worn off of the threads that were sticking out of the nut. Sometimes there is a bit of corrosion.

Most important thing to look out for in my opinion is the thread clearance. Back off one of the stock lugs until it is not touching the rim anymore and giggle it. Not so you are rotating it but giggle it on an axis perpendicular to the center of the stud. Then spin your new lug on to about the same position and see if it has much more giggle than the stock one. The looser it is the less thread engagement you have. If you are swapping tires a lot a sloppy fit will make it much easier to strip the threads.
    Simon

I won't be using the stock studs or lugs, so that'll be hard to test. Stock studs aren't great, and the stock lugs are closed ended. The ARP studs are too long for the closed ended lugs, so I have to swap them all together.

I derailed this thread a bit with my being anal about thread clearances now that I look at my response. But to add to the part of it that was on topic, keeping the exposed threads gooey really helps. They will dry out before spring! I hit them with what ever I've got handy when ever they look dry. For the last five years or so it has been a can of Krown rust proofing. I hold a rag under the stud and spray it onto the exposed threads and the end of the lug to seal it.

In the spring for the first tire change I clean off the studs before undoing the lugs so any dirt that stuck on over the winter doesn't grind into the threads. Then clean the whole stud and re apply some anti seize lightly. After that they're usually good to go for a summer of changing tires every weekend until I drop a lug in the sand.

I don't have experience with aftermarket studs and lugs. But my car did come with studs that stick out of open ended lugs so this is what has worked for me And I was changing tires every weekend for a few summers. Never stripped a stud on it in 14 years! During the summer a thin application of anti seize stays on for the whole season. But in the winter even if you get a good thick coat on there it will disappear from the exposed threads before the end of the winter. I had it happen a couple lazy winters. Hubcaps help a lot too. I've made it through the last few winters without having to re apply anything to the lugs after realizing how much it helps.
    Simon

Hrmmm... would really long lug nuts work to protect the threads? Removable caps would be ideal.

I had a Buick with open ended lugs, but the lugs were longer than the studs, and they helped protect the threads.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I don't know how much thread will be exposed until I get everything together, but I imagine it'll be similar to your car Steve (same length studs, same wheels, similar hub, etc). I'll just look at the options at JRP and see if they have a closed ended set that's long enough to work.

Simon, hubcaps aren't an option because my snows are on my stock wheels (not steelies).

Got the studs and open ended nuts today, once I see how much thread is exposed (or not exposed) I'll look into closed ended nuts.

No thread is exposed, just a tiny bit of the bullet end of the stud is exposed. Not sure I'll find closed nuts big enough, but maybe I can find a rubber cap or something.

Next step, install the rear studs. The fronts I could do without pulling the hub from the knuckle, the rear not so lucky.

That should work out well even if you dont find closed ended nuts. When you put the snows on for the season cover the threads with anti seize and put a blob in the inside end of the nut so when you screw it on the anti sieze spreads on its threads as well. I put a big enough blob in there so that exess gets pushed out the outer end by the stud. Then spread it around the gap to seal the end as i wipe off the exess.
    Simon