Thread: Fill the oil and check the gas...

Fill the oil and check the gas...

Ok.. high mileage 99 Miata (around 240,000kms) its using a almost 1L of oil every 1000kms (a week for my commute). It seems to use a lot when I find myself stuck in traffic which lately seems to be more often than not. I drove it most of the summer no issues though didn't get stuck in bumper to bumper often and it hardly used any oil... now I only bought it in June but it didn't use any oil for the first 6 weeks at least.. Its not leaking any oil, and I don't notice any blue smoke..
    Any one have any ideas? I stay on top of my oil changes, recently replaced PCV.. it just seems to be getting worse and worse...
    2013 WRB BRZ

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    Ok.. high mileage 99 Miata (around 240,000kms) its using a almost 1L of oil every 1000kms (a week for my commute). It seems to use a lot when I find myself stuck in traffic which
    lately seems to be more often than not. I drove it most of the summer no issues though didn't get stuck in bumper to bumper often and it hardly used any oil... now I only bought it in June but it didn't use any oil for the first 6 weeks at least.. Its not leaking any oil, and I don't notice any blue smoke..
    Any one have any ideas? I stay on top of my oil changes, recently replaced PCV.. it just seems to be getting worse and worse...
    PCV is step #1, so glad you did that. I did reduce the oil consumption on my old Legacy by doing an engine oil cleaner (frees up stuck rings) and then switching to a high grade synthetic.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...code=FLSHCN-EA

If you're using a quality synthetic, and you already changed the PCV, next step is usually a compression / leakdown test to find out if you have a ring or valve seal problem. Check the attached file for other ideas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Can I ask what oil you're using in her?
    Barry G