Thread: Suggestions for suspension and cat replacement - '02 WRX

Suggestions for suspension and cat replacement - '02 WRX

Hey Folks,

Had a couple of issues crop up with my failthful '02 WRX and looking to get your thoughts on options.

Currently running KYB AGX with stock springs as winter/daily driver suspension. Both rear struts are blown, I was hoping to be able to make it through the winter but they are getting louder. Front's seem to be fine (haven't done a through check).
    Should I just swap the rears with the same or consider going with the OE '04 STI stock strut/springs? Other options?
    Cost wise the OE '04 STI and the AGX would come out about the same.

Just after I went for my emissions test, a crack developed at the flange on the cat pipe. Was at the shop and they mentioned that they could try weld it, but no gaurantee how long it would last. I was quoted OEM cat pipe is $1000(!!). Ideally I would like to get one off a rally car conversion but getting hard to find.
    Any recommended options?

Thanks.
    Goni.
    \'02 WRX
    2005 Targa Newfoundland 2nd Place Division
    2005 Targa Newfoundland Rookie Team Award Winners

You're not competing anymore, right? Unless you can find cheap WRX shocks in good condition; harder to do these days, I'd go with a KYB Excel G or Strut Plus replacement depending on the mileage and condition of your springs and top hats. I think that SPDA member Paul Henshall still sells these. I wouldn't do inverted STi struts because of the maintenance requirements to prevent clunk.

What type of tune do you have? You could always replace the catted pipe with a "test pipe" if your tuning software can ignore / adjust the acceptable range of response from the post-cat O2 sensor. Pugsy has a single high flow cat mid pipe with a 90 degree adapter for the second O2 sensor which makes it easier to insert/remove the sensor and "inadvertently" adjusts the reading from the O2 sensor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-Do...a6ec9e&vxp=mtr

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Not competing now but am looking into doing a few events in 2015, I do still have my coilovers for summer time fun.
    Yeah, the STI clunk was something I was worried about but thought that they would've fixed it by now on replacement struts. My winter setup is stock WRX springs on KYB AGX's, was nice when I was doing TSD rallies as I could adjust the dampening based on the expected road (i.e. frost heaves on Old Hastings Rd).

I have an Ecutek tune. If I can get a high flow cat in 2.5" pipe that I can bolt in to the existing exhaust, that would be great. Is Hot Rod Scott's still the recommend exhaust shop, it's been a while since I've looked at what's available.

Thanks.
    Goni.
    \'02 WRX
    2005 Targa Newfoundland 2nd Place Division
    2005 Targa Newfoundland Rookie Team Award Winners