Thread: Buyers guide: 2007ish 2.5i Legacy

Question Buyers guide: 2007ish 2.5i Legacy

Looking to replace the wife's accord that's getting long in the tooth, and this is one of the options that has come up - she likes the colour, and it's not silver/grey so I'm happy

2007 auto sedan with ~135k, anything specific to look out for on these?
    Subaru calls for the timing belt@96k correct? How are they to work on in the driveway/garage?

The car is down at St. Clair & Bathurst, any decent shops around there that you would trust to do a pre-purchase inspection?

Thanks,

2004 WRX Service Manual calls for a (camshaft) drive belt replacement at 168,000 km (105 months).

Here's the link to the maintenance schedule for all Subarus instead:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html
    Last edited by LaszloT; 01-22-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add link
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

The 2007'S had a 160K timing belt replacement. Nothing much to look for other than if it's been modded. Check to see if the turbo had been replaced, there was a little screen on the banjo bolt that on the block that led to the turbo (oil feed) and the screens used to get blocked if the maintenance was long in the tooth. The result would be a blown turbo.

Other than that, nothing much. They ran and ran and ran and ran and ran.

FYI: 2.5i didn't have a turbo. And yes, I think the interval was 96k on the N/A.

Check coolant for cloudiness which might indicate head gasket issues. Try to do a cold morning start on it so you'll know if there is bad piston slap. Check for rust proofing history... rear fender lip, fuel filler cap, fuel filler pipe and top of the gas tank are worst areas. Also rear frame rails if you plan to mount a hitch.

Turn hard left and right to listen for clicks and clunks (CV's, bearings, ball joints)

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Aaah I missed that part, it's not a GT... LOL

What SteveD says plus check for the smell of gas in the engine and/or through the vents on cold days. The factory gas line clamps tend to loosen when the temps drop.

Occurs on both Turbo and non-turbo models.
    Loui P
    2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

Perfect, thanks gentlemen. Yes just an NA, no hood scoop, which is perfectly fine for its role.

Good to know on the spots that rust first, I'll make sure they get treated.

I'll be taking a look at it this afternoon wish me luck.

well, this one wasn't meant to be.

Was a little worried when we pulled up 10 minutes early and it was sitting in the lot idling, with no one in it.

Sounded like some of the piston slap video's on youtube, plus something else - from the untrained seemed a little valve train-ish (somewhat like the sewing machine sound bmw's get after being driven hard, and there isn't enough oil going to the valve train), and it was loud, like old tractor loud. It did however disappear by the end of a short test drive. No service records, plus evasive/non-answers on some obvious stuff (missing LR window trim, RF window inoperable, some decent bumper scratches/missing paint on both front corners) helped to solidify the decision to pass on it.

In case someone wants to take a look the ad was: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-print-view.html?adId=1034112757

We aren't in a rush, so waiting for the right car isn't a problem - if you happen to see or have something similar that will be hitting the for sale section, feel free to send me a message.

Hi Cliff,
    I hope the Accord has treated you well so far.

"it's not silver/grey so I'm happy " - I'm with you there.

It's done quite well for us Shane, although just before winter the transmission was starting to slip/flare a little in 2nd, cleaning the filter/screen has helped a little, can't complain though as its now around ~260k without any real substantial work - but it will need to be addressed. I just have a feeling it won't be the economical to replace/rebuild it - and I'm not quite comfortable attempting it in the garage - thus the slow look for a new to us vehicle.

Good to hear. I hope it give you enough time for a thorough search.