Thread: Ewald Performance is SPDA's newest Sponsor!

Ewald Performance is SPDA's newest Sponsor!

Ewald Performance is Carbotech Performance Brakes newest authorized dealer. I've been part of SPDA for a number of years and appreciate the enthusiasm and support of this community for motorsport. Please ensure you let me know you're a member of SPDA when you chat with me.

Eleven years ago I was leading a Porsche Cayman between turn one and two at TMP. I was feeling pretty good about myself and my car (okay, he was closing in on me very fast, but I still was ahead!) until I stepped on the brake to prepare for the turn. Nothing. Had brakes in turn one. Had been out all day - it was now late afternoon - and great braking. Until now. As I bounced off the end of the track I observed that at one point this grassy area had been paved. Curious how you observe inconsequential things as you're travelling out of control and have little to do except pump the brake pedal and hope that the non-existent brakes kick in.

That was my first experience with brake fade. Fortunately it occurred at a part of the track where there was sufficient run-off room for the car to slow on its own and where the only damage was to my pride. This started me on my quest for better brakes. I was running stock Nissan brake pads and Nissan brake fluid. They were and are good quality products and I have no hesitation recommending them - but not for the race track.

My search for better stopping power led me to Carbotech Performance Brakes. Honestly, I stopped looking further after my first set because I was so impressed with them. I put Carbotech XP10 on the front of my Nissan NX and stock brake pads on the rear for that first year of upgrading to see if they were better. They were. I also upgraded to Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Stainless flex lines also. The following year Carbotech XP8s went on the rear. The year after that - 2007 - I approached Carbotech and held the first of what has become an annual event - Carbotech Performance Brake Pad group buys. In 2014 I was accepted as an authorized Carbotech Performance Brake Pad dealer. As such I can get you Carbotech products throughout the year - including Carbotech wheel cleaner (a necessity with performance brake pads), Motul RBF600 brake fluid, and Castrol SRF brake fluid.

I send my kids out onto the race track in my 300 whp Nissan, knowing that A) they've been instructed by some of the best instructors around (almost all were SPDA members) and B) they've got the best brakes available. The Nissan now has XP12s up front with a Wilwood Superlite Caliper setup; the rear is still XP8 and an OEM caliper. I'm part of a ChumpCar Canada team and the Miata ChumpCar runs XP8 on the front and rear in 6, 7, and 8 hour endurance races. On my Ford E450 RV/tow vehicle I have Carbotech 1521s front and rear. 1521s on my wife's Altima and AX6s on my Mazda RX8.

If you want to enjoy your car at the track, make sure that you have a great braking system. Carbotech Performance Brakes motto is "We take you deeper into the corners & across the finish line first". I will add, they keep you and your family safe.

Frank Ewald
    frank@ewaldperformance.com
    519-501-8412
    www.ewaldperformance.com

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Welcome Ewald Performance and the great stopping power of Carbotech brakes! May your lives be filled with loads of runoff area without them.

P.S. I'm getting some AX6 street / track pads in time for the upcoming Spring performance driving season.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 02-10-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: p.s.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Thanks Steve and Laszlo. I love not needing to use the run off area (unless I'm completing a pass)!
    Frank - I drive a Nissan

Great news! We're just nailing down sizes but our Chumpcar CRX will be running carbotechs this year from Frank.

Awesome news Frank! I'll be switching to Carbotech after I burn through the Ferodo's currently on my car!
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

Working out the details with Bryce's team right now. Will, if you think they'll need replacing by late spring, this is the time to get them. The group buy discount ends this weekend - it's the best price I can ever provide PLUS you get the benefit of bulk shipping. This is a huge savings as I'm bringing in 30 some axle sets versus one or two.
    Thanks folks!
    Frank - I drive a Nissan

I might have to order a set. My last fronts lasted about 1.5 summers, rears still have tons of life left. Not sure I'll get the summer out of the current fronts though. I'll let you know ASAP.

What would you suggest for me? I want the same compound front/rear, but not sure on XP8 or XP10. The car is daily driven, and I'm too busy/lazy to swap pads for events so whatever pads I run have to be bearable on the street.
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

Hey Frank,

Is there a set that's good for heavy Legacy's using 2005 Legacy GT Brakes. Does Carbotech make a set of pads that work for street and lapping duty, perhaps light Time Attack?

Thanks

Lots of good product for a Legacy or any other large vehicle (have 1521s on my E450 RV). Street and lapping pads mean a compromise - because they won't give the stopping power during track duty and they'll dust more/make more noise than some want for street.
    That being said, Carbotech's AX6 is designed for AutoCross. It's a great pad and I use it on my daily driver RX8 year round. If you're only going to the track a little bit. If the time attack was very light. They'd work. Give me a call and we can chat more about what you're looking for and how Carbotech can help. I'm sending you an email, Joe.

A great way to handle track and street is that you can use different Carbotech compounds WITH the same rotors - so you'd only swap pads rather than the typical swap of pads and rotors.
    Note: this is only with Carbotech compounds. If you are using Carbotech and another brand of pad then you must swap rotors.
    Frank - I drive a Nissan

Will, sending you an email.
    Frank - I drive a Nissan