Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATTS Beginner Friendly Lapping day - May 23 at Mosport DDT

Good save!
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

Simon.. I have to admit without the kink the ups and downs on that straight left me a bit light in the shorts at times!
    2013 WRB BRZ

Thanks Martin! Those are great pics. They really show how squishy the front end is on my car. Gotta look into where most of it is. Yesterday all I wanted to do was sell the thing. But it will be more interesting to figure it out first.

The DDT is a genious layout for learning. Those perfectly placed elevation changes really teach you not o make mistakes like mine. Lifted like a chicken buk buk bawk!
    Simon

Simon I forgot to ask, how did the lap timer thingy work for you?
    2013 WRB BRZ

Martyn, looks like I got data for most of my runs. Using my old phone with a cheap slow SD card in it made the app shut down video recording. It couldnt write to the card fast enough. When I have time I will try to overlay and sync the data with my gopro footage.

Kicking myself for not clearing my better card in time to use it. The phone camera got a lot of reflection from the dash in that position anyways. So as long as the data syncs up with the other footage it's a win.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    Posted a few photos in the SPDA facebook group. So as not to step on any toes.. I have lots more, just many people ran license plates so not going to post any of those without permission. If you would like some photos of your own car and you weren't in the advanced group.. Let me know which car and an email addy and I may have some I can send you. Ermm but be specific.. bloo Subaru may not be enough

Oops Targa truck is posted with plates... lemme know if those should be pulled..?
    Red STI hatch (with plates, sorry).

dubya (dot) brooks (at) gmail (dot) com

Another great lapping event with SPDA! Organizers and volunteers were awesome, as always!

Posted a few photos in the SPDA facebook group. So as not to step on any toes.. I have lots more, just many people ran license plates so not going to post any of those without permission.
    I'm on the FB page. Feel free to post as many of the Black Fiat Abarth pics as you wish.

For those interested here's a vid of my rear facing cam. Got alot of BRZ's up my chuff if you wanted to see yourselves in action :-P
    https://youtu.be/Rm1ri1Cg91w

Agreed, good save! Try for a late apex just at the end/after the concrete and then it's flat over crest. Way to make the next corner after the crest!

PS: we teach 9 and 3

Quote Originally Posted by 7plymaple View Post
    Yesterday was too much fun!

Martyn Sent you a PM.

Here's a short video of one of my runs yesterday.

http://youtu.be/e-MZiUh2FzI

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

If you're not in the FB group, here's some of my photos:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskbJL866

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    If you're not in the FB group, here's some of my photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskbJL866
    I didn't notice the chase shots! Cool! Pretty good pans, Mike! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by STeveD View Post
    Agreed, good save! Try for a late apex just at the end/after the concrete and then it's flat over crest. Way to make the next corner after the crest!

PS: we teach 9 and 3
    Thanks! Yes I started to figure out the later apex and staying on the throttle from the concrete curbing until coming down from the crest was working for me. Need more practice on that section. Looking at your avatar I think it was you I tried to follow through that sectionin this video. http://youtu.be/OziFmKV9wKE Got in a little deeper that time lol

And I did check myself on the ridiculous hand misplacements. The first part of that video was my second run of the day.
    Simon

My guess is that was Trevor driving, since I wasn't in many of the Coaches sessions, and I don't remember passing Mel on track. We have to grab 5t:h before the first left crest without the kink else we sometimes bang off the Rev limiter in 4th as we get light on the other side. Then if the front end bites on the right kink we hold revs near 7000 in 5th as we go over the right crest at the end of the straight. Key is waiting for turn in for that right part and dialing the steering in a bit quicker rather than the nice smooth arc you're doing. The fast input feels wrong, but it puts you on the right angle over the hump. I'd Crap my pants if I entered it from the left side of the track because we're still sliding left after the late apex.

Quote Originally Posted by 7plymaple View Post
    Thanks! Yes I started to figure out the later apex and staying on the throttle from the concrete curbing until coming down from the crest was working for me. Need more practice on that section. Looking at your avatar I think it was you I tried to follow through that sectionin this video. http://youtu.be/OziFmKV9wKE Got in a little deeper that time lol

And I did check myself on the ridiculous hand misplacements. The first part of that video was my second run of the day.

Posted a few photos in the SPDA facebook group. So as not to step on any toes.. I have lots more, just many people ran license plates so not going to post any of those without permission. If you would like some photos of your own car and you weren't in the advanced group.. Let me know which car and an email addy and I may have some I can send you. Ermm but be specific.. bloo Subaru may not be enough

Oops Targa truck is posted with plates... lemme know if those should be pulled..?
    Hi, got any pictures with my 2008 Forester XT? I Pm'd you my email address. I'm not sure what SPDA's facebook page is as I can't find it.

Thanks

Thank you to all the organizers & volunteers! What's next?
    And thank you Martyn for sharing those pictures with me

Quote Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
    I'm not sure what SPDA's facebook page is as I can't find it.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/291703044249405/

Quote Originally Posted by STeveD View Post
    My guess is that was Trevor driving, since I wasn't in many of the Coaches sessions, and I don't remember passing Mel on track. We have to grab 5t:h before the first left crest without the kink else we sometimes bang off the Rev limiter in 4th as we get light on the other side. Then if the front end bites on the right kink we hold revs near 7000 in 5th as we go over the right crest at the end of the straight. Key is waiting for turn in for that right part and dialing the steering in a bit quicker rather than the nice smooth arc you're doing. The fast input feels wrong, but it puts you on the right angle over the hump. I'd Crap my pants if I entered it from the left side of the track because we're still sliding left after the late apex.
    Okay I get that. Need to get out there and practice it. Do you have any youtube videos up? Sounds like a wild ride!
    Simon

A few days late to say this, but thanks to everyone involved for organizing a great day at the track!

I had a very productive day... I managed to improve my lap time quite a bit!
    2007 Subaru Impreza STI
    MosesW

This is still uploading: http://youtu.be/t9xmCUD9poU

This is the OTA ShootOut last year with only one hot lap allowed, so, no time to get heat into the tires. You can hear that I had to hold throttle before the right turn before crest. I usually take it a bit later than I did on this lap, and I normally go across the crest at an angle.

Looks WAY slower than the current smaller BorgWarner EFR 7670 turbo with 1.05 hotside. Wasted 0.5 seconds at the end of the lap with that clumsy route through the last chicane... Please just pay attention to the first time I went through it.

We didn't take video or data this weekend, since it was just a shakedown for CSCS on Sunday with the 3kg softer spring rates.

Looks like you're turning in a bit later than I've been doing, I felt like the line in this video was working, but I'll have to try pushing the turn further down to see how that works too.

It varies by car of course; front/rear grip, front/rear aero lift, speed carried. You definitely seem to have better balance than Simon and I did on that day. I definitely feel more comfortable with the line of the car in front of you on lap 2.

Quote Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
    Looks like you're turning in a bit later than I've been doing, I felt like the line in this video was working, but I'll have to try pushing the turn further down to see how that works too.