Thread: Track Photography... for a noob

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Practice, take hundreds of pics, and eventually you'll get one or two that you'll really appreciate. I use a Nikon D7000 with a 55-300 or an 18-105 lens. I constantly move my shutter speed around. On the Nikon I shoot in S mode (shutter speed). Sometimes manual focus, sometimes autofocus.

These two were 1/30th with manual focus.

Memory serves me, these were 1/250th.

Slow shutter speeds are a challenge. Here I wanted the Miata in focus, but ended up getting the Honda.

I think this was 1/60th - probably the better shutter speed for panning and getting focused shots.

This one, probably 1/1600th. Wheels frozen in time, but nice crisp image that you won't likely get with a slow shutter speed.

I enjoy taking photos and tinkering with my camera; got this DSLR last fall. Prior to that were point and shoot (unless you go way back to my Pentax K1000, where I got the basics). If you have access to Photoshop then you can adjust some of the lighting that you may have missed on the track. Any editing program will allow you to crop pics to frame them better. On slow shutter mode, with the Nikon I shoot in CH (continuous high) mode. The great thing about digital, as long as you have a big memory card there's no issue of running out of space.

When shooting at the track, I have the LCD screen turned off and use the viewfinder. Saves a ton of battery life.
    Last edited by nissannx; 05-31-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Pics didn't show up.
    Frank - I drive a Nissan