Thread: Brake pad shim/ear clips??

Brake pad shim/ear clips??

Hi all,

Can someone point me to where I can get the brake pad ear clip/shim? I am not sure what they are actually called. Please see the attached pic.

My front brake pad is a little too short in the caliper. It is making noise when running over potholes or manhole covers. I tried to google/ebay/amazon, but nothing came up. I may be using wrong keywords to search.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Samba; 07-21-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Those should come with each set of brake pads you get. The dealership might not sell them seperately. So you might have to get some new pads.

I've never driven without those. But if your pads are shaking around over bumps to the point where you can hear them I cant picture them seating or working well.
    Simon

What vehicle are those shims from? Was that just a generic Google image search? Did you buy the car used and you think the previous owner removed them?

Some pads you buy will come with a set of slider plates to replace the ones that clip onto the calipers, but not all. I never got them with EBC's or Hawks. You can usually order the clip on slider plates from the dealer. I had to do that for my wife's Acura TL after they got a little too rough to clean.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks for replying.

The photo posted is a generic image.

My Hawks pads do not come with anything. The OEM slider plates are still on the calipers. Just removed the old pads and replace the new pads in the calipers. There is about 1 mm gap between the ear of the pad and the calipers. May be the OEM slider plates get flattened?

What car is this? 1mm play isn't that bad...tight is worse. Maybe some bad stamping of the pad backing plate, being a little too small?

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

It is Acura TL SH-AWD. I just hate hearing the rattle noise coming from the calipers when running over bumps. =(