Thread: WTB: Struts Suitable for STi Springs on my '04 WRX

WTB: Struts Suitable for STi Springs on my '04 WRX

I read that '04 STi struts will work, but not '05+ STi, and that WRX struts are too light.

I also read that KYB Excel-G struts are marginal with an STi spring and may not have matched damping.

KYB AGX or Tokico D-Spec adjustable struts are suitable but I haven't yet found a Canadian supplier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

What about Koni yellows, or do they only make inserts and not full struts?
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

Koni inserts are available from Touge Tuning and have a great reputation from my research, so they are also an option. They were more expensive than the KYB AGX option when I first checked.

From the instructions it looks like it's more of an advanced DIY project, but I suppose if one can replace the struts on a vehicle, this shouldn't be too much more of a challenge:

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf
    https://youtu.be/PXSnNZt3NiI (video)
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

paul@hslrallysport.ca sources AGX locally (Brampton.)

Koni install is not a job for a rookie... generous blue Loctite minimum on the bottom bolt, then have someone tack weld the nuts afterwards. ALternatively, red Loctite, but good luck with your first rebuild.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Thanks STeveD, you are undoubtedly correct about how ambitious the cut-a-strut task is. I'll speak to Paul about the KYB AGX struts then.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 12-20-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX