Thread: Subaru WRX STI S207 Aims to be ‘World’s Most Enjoyable Vehicle’

Subaru WRX STI S207 Aims to be ‘World’s Most Enjoyable Vehicle’

I might want to own a yellow sports car after all:

"Subaru will also offer a limited 100-unit run that includes the NBR Challenge Package and a vivid Sunrise Yellow paint job. The NBR Challenge Package adds an exclusive dry carbon rear spoiler and an ornament commemorating Subaru’s victory in the SP3T class in the 2015 Nurburgring 24 Hours race."

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-vehicle-.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Clever to hide the race car as the ground reflection in the second image.

Subaru has a way of putting cars out there that overpromise and under deliver. This is just another one of those!! For 70K there are lots of cars much more capable than the S207, even the unreleased Ford Focus RS has fancy nannies in there, which includes "drift mode" and it is priced high by my books (50K ish) which is still 20K under what Subaru is looking for these cars.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for 2017 and hope that Subaru releases something that'll compete on an equal playing field as some of the more nimble and powerful new models coming out.

I do love the wing though!
    Social Dictator
    Melanie

I would prefer a stripped and lightweight 'Tuner-ready and wallet-friendly' version of the '15-chassis WRX, similar to the version they released in the USDM market for 2006:

car online info - Tuner-ready and wallet-friendly WRX TR debuts at SEMA [2006]
    http://car-online-info.blogspot.ca/2...nd-wallet.html

That "TR (Tuner Ready) version of the WRX enjoys all of the car’s upgrades for 2006, including the new, more powerful 230-hp 2.5L engine, but comes with the more basic interior content and exterior trim of Impreza 2.5i Sedan in order to lower the price of entry."

Less expensive to produce and likely an exceedingly popular price point with the motor enthusiast which is the staple of WRX buyers.

A lighter chassis would automatically have better performance, but they could tweak the ECU tuning slightly for +5-10 Hp as well with the same parts to further appeal to this market segment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaszloT; 10-30-2015 at 02:39 PM. Reason: +ECU tuning
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Here's what they should do if they want a real track ready super fun car for 70K,

The car should be a dual purpose capable car. Fun, powerful, handles well and engineered to work properly
    Dry sump lube system with accumulator
    Minimum 400hp
    Forged engine internals
    Closed deck block
    Cross Drilled Crankshaft
    Components shifted for better balance
    Adjustable suspension (compression & dampening)
    Nice interior made of light materials
    Proper grippy seats with bolsters
    Combination of electric / turbo for no lag instant power
    Aluminium or titanium suspension components (reduced weight)
    Adjustable geometry mounts for the control arms
    500 - 600 Lbs lighter than the existing model
    Aluminium or composite front fenders (lightness)
    Aluminium or Composite front bumper beams
    Front mount intercooler
    Top mount oil cooler
    Wide Wheels (18 X 10) with wide tyres and fenders

There you have it... Imagine what you can do to a car if you bought a 2007 chassis and spent 50K on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    There you have it... Imagine what you can do to a car if you bought a 2007 chassis and spent 50K on it.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.